1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wiring on custom bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fearlesshopes, Aug 26, 2012.

1. fearlesshopes

fearlesshopes

Aug 26, 2012
    Well ppl first helloo im new member on this site, big fan of bass guitars and more...

Im building my own cutom bass guitar and i want to make something like musicman bass with humbucker...

I want to do simple wiring from humbucker only for vol and tone, so is it possible? and also if u have some sugestion i would like to hear it.

2. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Aug 24, 2012
    One Side of the Humbucker to EARTH
    Other side to the VOL (ever side)

Now the VOL (middle) can ever have a CAP to the TONE (side) or a WIRE
    and from the Tone (middle) to EARTH or if you had the wire a Cap to Earth

Humbuckles isnt that much different with a Normal pick up, just one pick up facing 180deg to its other, if you want to Split it and be able to pick upper lower parrel or series than would need a 2P4T.

3. fearlesshopes

fearlesshopes

Aug 26, 2012
    Oh god, well i think im gonna need explanation for every word :D

4 string humbucker has 5 wires ; red and white( stick together), black and clean one ( also together) and green one alone...

and now... what is for what and what is most important to do here.
    also dont know what the f... is 2P4T :D

if u can draw me scheme in paint just to know how to do it...

need only vol and tone knob and output jack nothing more :D

4. fearlesshopes

fearlesshopes

Aug 26, 2012
    thx i will try :D

5. Angel LaHash

Angel LaHash

Aug 24, 2012
    yes same wiring really.. just working so you only use one or both sides of the Coils in a humbuckler with a 2P4T (2 Pole (inputs) 4 Throw (outputs))

6. fearlesshopes

fearlesshopes

Aug 26, 2012
    Well I understand all now but one more thing, when i wire earth.... if i understand one side wire to the jack and one to the bridge but how i can wire it to the bridge when the bridge is on the body not in the body...??

7. iiipopes

iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    Drill a small hole with a long drill bit laterally from the bridge through the body to the control cavity. Be careful with the angle of the drill bit so it comes out near the jack at about half way up or down the body thickness. The ground wire is then run from the bridge to the earth lug of the output jack.