1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wiring options for Barts

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ganttbos, Apr 27, 2002.

1. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Here's a copy of an email I just sent to Gabe at Bass Northwest:
    Hi Gabe,
    Gantt Boswell here in New Orleans. I just ordered a Bart HR5.4 wiring harness from you guys, the one with 5 pots (volume, PU blend, bass, treble, mid) and a three-way mid-frequency switch. I already had a set of xxM45C's. This is for a Gecko project.
    I'm in the process of learning about the bewildering variety of wiring options. Some things I've read even talk about a 6 or 7-way rotary switch to access the various combinations. What can you tell me about this? Can you boil it down to a simpler set of options? Do you know of anything I can read that will help? The Bart website is pretty useless. I've read a million threads on TB and the Pit but no one really nails it as far as a clear explanation/discussion.
    Thanks,
    Gantt
    What I'm looking for is a description of sounds - a boiled-down primer of Bart wiring 101. Can anyone help? Thanks.

2. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I'm not sure about the sounds you could get, but I know that there are a lot of wiring options. Depending on how good you are at wiring and technical know-how you could have up to 6 options per pup (I assume that you have 2, and if I recall those pups are quad coil): series, parallel, split-p, reverse-p, the neck side magnet pair, and the bridge side magnet pair.

I was actually looking into a very similar configuration. Hope I've helped you out a bit.

3. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    OK, since I first started this thread, I've learned a lot about wiring barts. Now my questions are more specific. I've found quite a few wiring diagrams but I still don't have any info on how to wire the quad-coil soaps for a reverse-P configuration. I'm thinking of a three-way switch that will give me straight series (humbucking), bridge (or neck - not decided) single-coil, and reverse-P (both pups). Reverse-P wiring is not shown on the diagrams I've found so far???