Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring P-Bass pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Brooks, Nov 9, 2002.

1. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I have a '92 Fender Precision Plus. This bass has two Fender Lace Sensor pups - a P and a J. I just received a Fender '62P reissue pup.

Lace Sensor P has 3 leads coming out of each pup. Precision Plus has a 3-position Toggle Switch (J, J+P, P), Volume and Tone pot. It also has a push-switch that was described to me as In/Out of Phase.

How do I wire the replacement pup which only has 2 leads coming out of the pups??

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Just noticed two things - 62P has only 2 leads - ground and live. Also, my tone pot is actually two stacked pots with one knob with center-ident. It seems that one pot works from -10 to 0, and the other from 0 to +10 (not sure how to explain it better).

Finally, the push-switch is for Series/Parallel, not in/out of phase.

3. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    BUMP! Comon guys, there must be someone here who knows bass wiring and can come up with an idiot-proof diagram for me. Bass is sitting on my workbench, soldering iron is hot, I just need to be pointed in the right direction :)

4. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Hey Brooks,

The re-wiring will be a snap really.
    Remove the FL pickup. Solder the 'hot' from the new pickup to the same location as the hot from the FL pickup. (That will be either the toggle switch or the volume pot-OR the series parallel switch)
    Solder the other pickup lead to ground. (That would be the back of a pot, a ground lug etc.) I'm sure you can see where the rest of the electronics are grounded. That's it. New pickup ready to play.

As for the series/parallel switch. That is for the P-bass I will assume. You won't be able to wire it in with the new bass pickup since it only has 2 leads. It is possible of course but you have to modify your pickup into a 4 conductor pickup.

Good luck.

5. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    That's for the tip. My problem is the current P-pup goes to the push switch first. I was wondering if I could use that switch to have P+J Series/Parallel setup. In other words, when both pups are on, to have them wire as a large humbucker in either series or parallel mode.

6. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Well...I decided to have a go at it. Removed the Lace Sensor P, bolted in 62P replacement, soldered ground to ground, live to Toggle Switch, on the opposite side of where J is connected.

With toggle on J, J works. With toggle on P, P works, and sounds great. But with toggle in the middle, it sounds like pups are out of phase - low volume, and weird sound. Where am I going wrong?

7. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Brooks,

You COULD wire the pickups so you get a the P and J in series and parallel with each other but series wiring will not be a desireable sound. Too chunky and indefined, also additional noise from not being humcancelling but having so much DC resistance.
    As is, the P and J are already in parallel when in the middle position of the toggle.

You are having trouble because like I said, You cannot use the new P-pickup and send it to the mini-toggle for series-parallel. You only have 2 leads. You need 4 leads for series-parallel wiring.

You very well could be out of phase but it doesn't have anything to do with the mini-toggle. You can reverse the hot and ground wires on either pickup and see if your phase is corrected while in the middle position. This would be a temporary solution (Because now the poles are hot on whichever pickup you reversed and it will make a buzzing sound anytime the strings touch the poles) Might not ever happen to you but it could depending on your playing style and setup. Some players would leave it like this forever without trouble.

Use the Mini-toggle for something else (A phase switch perhaps) or take it out of the circuit.

Good luck.

8. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Bonafide, thanks for replying, I really appreciate as I am stuck - total dumbo when it comes to electronics. At this stage, I would be happy just to get standard PJ config working, forgetting that push switch. That means, 3-position Toggle pickup selector, volume and tone. I would REALLY appreciate if you could look at the attached diagram and fill in the blanks. Thanks in advance!

9. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    Hey Brooks.

The trouble with that diagram is that I have no idea where everything was PRIOR to your pulling out the LS pickup. However... The wiring will still easy. Do this, and let me know if you still have trouble.

Originally, there was a wire coming FROM the mini toggle going TO the 3-way selector switch. IT would have gone TO one side or the other of the switch (Not the middle lug) (well call this Wire A)

Your new P-bass pickups has 2 leads, a HOT and a GROUND... Connect the HOT from your new P-bass pickup to the SAME place on the 3-way toggle where (wire A) was going. This will bypass the push-pull (which won't work anymore).

That should be it. Granted you didn't disconnect anything else.

The J-bass pickup HOT should also be going to the 3-way toggle. The middle lug of the 3-way toggle should go to the Volume control.

There are litterally dozens of ways to wire this up. All you want to do at this point is bypass the push-pull.

Let me know if you any more help.
    I have drawn 100's of custom schematics for pickup makers and bass makers and professional musicians. You can find my diagrams and Schematics on Warwick's website, Seymour Duncan, Schecter guitars etc.

Good luck.
    rodney.gene2@verizon.net (My email)

10. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    I did exactly as you suggested. P pup Hot wire is connected on the right-hand side of the 3-way toggle, J is on the left, and there is a black wire going from the middle to the volume. That's how I got to where I am now - J works, P works, push switch is dead, but PJ sounds like crap.

I am thinking that maybe I should wire both live wires from J pup directly to the left side of the 3-way toggle?

11. Bonafide

Bonafide

Oct 15, 2002
    P-J sounds like crap? Have you reversed the phase yet? Reverse the HOT and GROUND from the P-Bass pickup. That will not effect how it sounds by itself, but only when used with the J.

12. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Well..I reversed hot and ground on the P pup and it was a lot worse than before. The push switch is disconnected completely now...and I am stuck. Just can't get P+J to sound right. Sounds like playing through a small transistor radio.