1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wiring pickups for series / parallel switching - what do I need?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Bluebard, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Hey bass dudes,

I want to wire the single coil Super Ferrite pups in my Peavey Foundation so that I can switch between series and parallel with a push-pull pot, so that I have the option of a fatter humbucking tone. My friend said he'd do the electronics work for me (and teach me how to do it myself in the process). I just have to supply the materials. He's set with soldering stuff, so I just need what's going to go into the bass itself.

So... what do I need? A push-pull pot, I know, but which one, what kind, what electronic specs, etc? What else will I need?

Thanks guys! I appreciate your help! :D

Peace,
    Bluebard

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

You basically need a pot of the same value and type you'll be replacing that has a double-pole double-throw (DPDT) push pull switch attaced to it.

AFAIK the Peavy Foundation has 3 250K Audio Taper pots. So you'd want a 250k audio taper DPDT push-pull potentiometer. CTS and Alpha are two readily available brands that make them.

Bluebard likes this.
  3. Bluebard

Bluebard

Oct 21, 2014
    Buffalo
    Thank you! That's exactly the info I was looking for - I'll look into getting one of those!