Wiring/Pot kits for P-Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Derhak1, Sep 18, 2004.

1. Derhak1

Jan 7, 2003
    I'm looking to upgrade the electronics on my Essex P-Bass. I have seen wiring kits from Bass Parts Resource, but that's about it. Are these of good quality? Has anybody had experience with these? I don't plan on making it active. I just want to put it back together with good parts. Any suggestions? As of now I am thinking of putting a Seymour Duncan quarter pounder in as well. I've got flatwounds on it, and am just looking for a nice warm sound. Thanks-Alex
  2. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I have ordered pots, wiring and other stuff from Bass Parts Resource and they worked great. (They're very fast as well!)

There is a difference in sound and feel with good components. If you want a good warm tone, use 250K.

Also, I would recommend Seymour Duncan Hot pickups (SBP-2) vs. the Quarter Pounder for the sound you are looking for. I would equally recommend the Fender '62 reissue P-bass pickups. Just an opinion from someone with all three.

Good Luck!
  3. Derhak1

Jan 7, 2003
    Thanks, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. -Alex
  4. meh, no one probably remembers this, but i made a post a long time ago about buying an essex P-bass, and totally revamping it. i got all my new electronics from bass parts resource. i believe it it was the fender '62 reissue pups, the p bass wiring kit, fender knobs, vintage cloth wires, bridge and pup ashtrays, and a black pickgaurd. anywho, after putting that all on, my essex 62 is lookin like a 70's fender. anyway, the point is, both essex and bass parts resource sell great products.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You might try one of these, if you can find one. I hear Steve Rabe is finally calling it quits.

Raven Labs PBR-1