Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wiring problem - advice need urgently :(

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by idoru, Jan 24, 2006.

1. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Okay, so I've got an old Vester 5 string that I want to get a few hundred Ozbucks for, and a guy coming round to try it out tomorrow. It's holding it's tuning nicely & the setup (by me) is well within tolerances of buzz & playability.

However, trying it out today at volume I notice one hell of a buzz through my RBI (all controls at 12). It gets worse the more Treble or Presence I add, and the further I push the Blend towards 100%. It goes away when I touch the plug in the output jack. It doesn't go away when I touch the strings. :help:

Now, I can't see any loose wires or broken joins in the control cavity, and the wiring to the jack itself is sound. I haven't played this bass in ages before today, probably it's last setup well over a month ago was the last time. I didn't notice then, but I wasn't QAing it for sale at the time...

So, I'm sure somebody can point me in the right direction here :)

Incidentally, buzz aside, it actually sounds okay through a few thousand dollars of amplification! I picked up a pick for the first time in ages & managed to get some very nice SVT rock sounds and B-string nu-metal riffs out of it ;)

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

apparently the jack, cord, bridge ground. At least that's sound's like the place to start.

3. idoru

idoru

Dec 18, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    Found it! Decide to poke around an hour before a guy came to check it out (and as it turns out, buy it). The ground wire had pulled loose from under the bridge, taking the strings and bridge out of the circuit, but not the jack socket. Pulled the little sucker through, screwed the bridge back on, et voila: back to normal behaviour. Near as I can figure it would have happened when I was checking the solder joins, pots etc. Obviously pays to be careful when cleaning, eh? :)