1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring problem - please HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by denverbarnes, Mar 15, 2021.

1. denverbarnes

denverbarnes

Feb 8, 2017
    Wiring experts, I need your help!!
    I just finished wiring up my bass with two DPDT on/on/on switches for series/split/parallel on each pickup and an on/on switch for master series/parallel. I worked according to the diagram below.
    With the master switch set to series mode everything seems to work fine, but when I go to master parallel mode I've got problems - with whatever position of individual pickup switches, I'm getting no output from either coil of the bridge pickup :(
    What have I done wrong?

Attached Files:

2. denverbarnes

denverbarnes

Feb 8, 2017
    I forgot to mention that the blend pot is one which has a pcb attached to it, with markings for
    Bridge - In, Ground, and Neck - In (It's a Guitar Fuel Tone Monster circuit I'm working with).

3. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Surely the blend pot has an "out" as well?

Have you tried it without the blend pot? Wire both pickup's hot wires to your jack.

You can also remove your master series-parallel switch and hard wire each config. Even if you do it "the same" as the wiring diagram, hardwiring a switch's function can help you think through mentally how your switch works (or doesn't).

Also, I wonder if your "up" and "down" function labels on your switches are reversed. Look at your master switch. In order for the middle terminals to be connected to the top set of terminals, the physical toggle on the switch needs to be pushed down, not up. The toggle connects the set of terminals opposite the direction you push it. So, if we try to translate your schematic to the real world, pushing the switch DOWN results in series, and UP results in parallel.

I am assuming your bridge pickup is going silent with the toggle in the UP position. In that position, the hot wire from your neck pickup to the to the blend pot is left intact. That will short the bridge pickup, which will cause the bridge pickup to go silent. You need to break that connection in series mode, so the pickups are truly in series. Look at the dot to the lower right of your master switch - the wire from that junction to the blend pot needs to be broken in parallel mode. You can use the other set of contacts on your master switch to do that.

Fix that issue, and re-label your switch functions (mentally, at least), and you should be all set, in terms of the master switch and master series parallel function.

Otherwise - the individual pickup switches look OK, although you may find the left/right sides are flip flopped depending on the type of switch you have (type 1 vs type 2, which determines what the middle terminals are connected to in the middle position).

Here's a page that might be a good reference for you:

https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/latest-updates/guitar-wiring-explored-switches-part-3

denverbarnes likes this.
  4. denverbarnes

denverbarnes

Feb 8, 2017
    I think you've solved my problem!
    What you say about the connection between Neck hot and Blend pot requiring to be broken for Master Series makes sense now - it did seem a little odd to me when I was trying to figure out that diagram, but I didn't know better.
    And yes, I see I'd confused the labels on the Master switch!
    I'll get back to it tomorrow and hopefully get it right this time. Thank you so much!

dwizum likes this.
  5. denverbarnes

denverbarnes

Feb 8, 2017
    Yes, the blend pot does have an 'out', via the connected pcb..
    I hadn't tried this without the blend pot, but you've convinced me to do some experimenting in order to better understand the workings of these components.
    Thank you, also, for the link.
    I'll report back once I've implemented the changes.

dwizum likes this.
  6. denverbarnes

denverbarnes

Feb 8, 2017
    My switches are DPDT type 1, which I believe is consistent with my diagram.

I've rewired the master switch and now there is output from the bridge pickup in series mode (which I mistakenly called parallel mode in my first post!), but there is a new issue: I'm getting very low output from the bridge pickup. Does this mean that my bridge pickup is out of phase with the neck pickup?
    The bridge pickup is giving out low output only in master series mode. All variations in master parallel mode seem to work fine, as far as I can tell.

Oh and here's my updated wiring diagram:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  7. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    It very well may be that it's out of phase. The good news is it's easy to check, just invert the wiring.

denverbarnes likes this.
  8. denverbarnes

denverbarnes

Feb 8, 2017
    Thanks again. When you say 'invert' am I correct in assuming you mean the black with the white and the red with the green, both on the bridge pickup?

9. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    If the whole pickup is out of phase, you'd want to flip the entire thing as you described. The downside is: since your switching is coil-specific, it'll flip flop which coil is which when you coil select. That isn't a big deal unless you decide it is. If you want to retain the selection of a specific coil when you coil tap, you can flip the switch wiring as well.

denverbarnes likes this.
  10. denverbarnes

denverbarnes

Feb 8, 2017
    Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the fact that both coils of the bridge pickup are having low output in master series mode leads me to think that the whole pickup is out-of-phase.
    I'm afraid I don't understand.. wouldn't inverting what I consider the 'start' and 'finish' of each coil in the bridge pickup be adequate to reverse the phase of the bridge pickup as a whole without altering which coils are selected via the on-on-on switch? I've redrawn the diagram (see attachment) to illustrate what I mean. Sorry to bug you, you've been so helpful already..

Attached Files:

11. dwizum

dwizum Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Yeah, disregard my post - I was misinterpreting your plan. You should be all set.

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021