1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

wiring problem

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ironflippy, Jan 6, 2007.

1. ironflippy

ironflippy

Sep 18, 2006
    I've just started playing bass after a few years of guitar. I had a P Bass copy that I refinished and upgraded. I changed the pickup to a Dimarzio Split P. However, I think the wiring went wrong somewhere. I think I may have overheated the capacitor in an effort to get the darn solder to stick to the back of these pots. This is what it sounds like with both the volume and tone knobs dimed:

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=6090

(excuse my poor playing)

This is the bass DIed into my mixer, then into my sound card, with no processing done. It sounds like the tone knob just isn't doing it's job properly. I used this schematic to wire it, and everything is exactly the same, which is why I'm lead to believe one of the parts is bad:

http://www.fender.com/support/diagrams/pdf_temp1/basses/0136100B/SD0136100BPg2upg2.pdf

Also, when the volume knob is all the way down, the volume is not completely cut out. It's still quite noticeable.

Any ideas as to what the problem may be?

2. Do you have a picture of the wiring? It may be a grounding issue?

3. ironflippy

ironflippy

Sep 18, 2006
    Can the ground wires be soldered someplace other than the back of the pots? They don't seem to want to stick there.

i_got_a_mohawk: I wish I could take a picture, but I left my camera at school for the break and won't have it until the 21st. I did open her up and noticed the grounds weren't attached to the pots anymore. I'll attempt to fix that and then report back with the results. Thanks for the help!

4. Use the search function and find any threads explaining the star grounding technique, i did that with my modded bass.

Essentially you have a total shield in the control cavity and a screw or lug that screw into the side of the cavity, and then you connect each ground wire from the pot lugs to the lug or screw individually, and then connect that point to the ground of the output jack.

Edit:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159191

Thats a link to a thread that describes and shows how to do this much better than i could.

5. ironflippy

ironflippy

Sep 18, 2006
    Thanks a ton, I'll look into doing that type of grounding.

I managed to get the ground to stick to the back of the pots, and it's doing the same thing.

I borrowed a camera, here's what the guts look like:
    P1070002.

Well, it looks like I soldered the bridge ground to the back of the volume pot instead of the ground on the input jack. Would this change anything?