Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring problem?!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by membranophone, Sep 25, 2000.

1. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    I popped a new set of Dimarzio PJ pickups on my bass, and the controls are acting kind of weird. unless the P pickup is turned up about 70% and the jazz pickup is turned up 100%, i get little or no sound from my bass. any thoughts?
    how do i fix this?

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    M.P., my advice would be to recheck your work paying special attention to solder connections. The small shielded wire is especially prone to heat damage from soldering.The insulation between the center conductor and the outer shield is especially prone to overheating causing a short circuit. A magnifying glass and good light will make it easier to spot solder bridges and frayed wire whiskers.

The secret to good soldering is clean joints and an iron that is hot enough to make the solder joint quickly. A good grade of solder, ROSIN CORE ONLY, helps too. I,personally, always tin the wires and and solder lugs before making a good mechanical connection. If you have to hold a wire in place while you make the solder joint you can end up with a "cold" solder joint which will be grainy, or frosted looking. A good joint will be smooth and shiny. Never blow on a solder joint to speed the cooling. That also can cause a cold joint.

Hope this helps you.

It's a good idea to make a simple drawing of where each wire goes before you diconnect anything.

3. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    thanks man... right after i posted that, i popped open the bass and lo and behold, i forgot to tape up a couple wires i had soldered together. i also reheated some joints and put the bass back together. it worked fine. i had the bass fixed about 30 minutes after i posted that, but your input is appreciated nonetheless.