Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring Problems? Need Help!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by count_funkula, Dec 12, 2004.

1. I having some kind of grounding problems on one of my basses. I'm using EMG J-style pickups and have it wired exactly like the instructions say except for the input jack. I'm using the kind of jack shown in the attached picture. It has three little protrusions on the back. Right now I have the hot wire going to one and the two ground wires (from battery and pots) going to another. The third is unused. It work like this but I get terrible hum that goes away when I touch the end of my bass cable. It gets louder when I touch the knobs. Any ideas? I have no idea how this style of jack is supposed to be wired. EMG pickups are dead quite so I know it's something I've done wrong.

Please Help!!

2. Forgot to attach the picture!

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

this probably should have been in the pickup forum but it's probably you're jack connections from the sound of things. Those flush-mount jacks are a pain cause you don't know what's what. I always just use an old 1/4 input plug with a short length of wire exposed and a meter to determine the teriminals. It's that or trial and error. The longest terminal is usually the ground, the shortest hot. The "nuetral" and hot on the jack are often so close to same length I can't tell them apart.

At any rate, you should be using all 3 terminals for active pups. White from the left lug of the volume pot (or green from EMG preamp) to hot terminal of jack, black from battery clip to "nuetral" of jack, and ground from pot back (or black from EMG preamp) to ground of jack. Just like the EMG diagram.

You can't smoke anything so don't sweat the connections. Just keep the amp low volume when you fire up.