1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring Problems

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Diablo666Bass, Feb 21, 2008.

1. Diablo666Bass

Diablo666Bass

Oct 24, 2006
    i am new to wiring in general. i have never done any pickup wiring before, i've only done easy stuff like re-solder.

i have 3-pickups, MM, P, J. each have only 2 wires. i need to wire a volume pot, on/off switch for each pickup, pre-amp (treble pot and bass pot), passive/active switch, and a 18v power supply.

i'm going to use Aguilar OBP-1 Pre-Amp.
    http://www.aguilaramp.com/products_preamps_obp1.htm
    http://www.aguilaramp.com/pdf/support_wiring_obp1.pdf

i made the schematic for everything, except the active/passive switch. where do i put that?

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g196/diablo666bass/Wiring.jpg

2. Diablo666Bass

Diablo666Bass

Oct 24, 2006
    any suggestions?

3. WOW!
    You don't like to make it easy for people do you. ..... Take it to a repair guy and pay the $$$ he wants and do it right the first time. ...... Or, scrap the 5-way and get a pan pot. ...... The MM P and J are two double coil pickups and a single coil that combo sounds like trouble. Or is the J-bass a double coil also?
    BM

4. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    Yes give the 5 way switch the flick what about 3 toggle switch to turn on the pickups as you want with the combos

5. Diablo666Bass

Diablo666Bass

Oct 24, 2006
    that actually sounds like a good idea, having each pickup on an on/off switch. would someone be able to make a schematic for that?

6. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
  7. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    I just saw you are going to use active circuit but you can adapt this to the active part

8. Diablo666Bass

Diablo666Bass

Oct 24, 2006
    thanks, this actually helps a lot

9. Diablo666Bass

Diablo666Bass

Oct 24, 2006
  10. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    To be honest I would bother with the active / passive switch

11. Diablo666Bass

Diablo666Bass

Oct 24, 2006
    i don't think i'll do the switch.
    thanks for your help robert.

12. robert43

robert43

Jun 5, 2007
    Australia
    Your welcome if you want to go the active / passive switch maybe before you dill the hole you try it with switch taped to bass that way if you dont like it no hole to plug up etc if you like it then you only have to drill a hole & install etc
    Any way hope it works the MM pickup doesnt have 4 wires? if so you can go a extra switch & do like humbuckers & short out 1 coil if Jass @ neck p in middle & mm @ bridge the if you put j + 1 mm pick up you also have a Jazz bass :)

13. Diablo666Bass

Diablo666Bass

Oct 24, 2006
    i like the way u think rob. i actually don't have the pickups on me, but the MM probably does have the 4 wires. i'm trying to figure out how much this will all cost before i buy it. i might actually use the OBP-3TK instead of the OBP-1 pre-amp. the wiring isn't much different. this is going to be for my custom bass.
    but i never thought of that. thank you.