Wiring Question For Custom Build with 3-Lead Ripper Pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jim Detloff, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Jim Detloff

Jim Detloff Commercial User

Nov 19, 2015
    Owner, Glory Guitars LLC
    Hi! Brand new to the forum... Although I've been hanging around here out for a while! Anyway... I'm considering a custom build combining a P Bass-type pup and a Duncan Custom Shop Ripper that comes with 3 leads because of the original, wacky switching, choke, out of phase stuff going on with those basses in the 70s.
    I'll be using a 3-way switch, 1. Ripper, 2. Both in Parallel, and 3. P. Does anyone know the function of the 3 wires on the ripper bass pup? I'm sure the black is ground... and assumption is, that being a humbucker, the other two wires are for the two individual coils. If that's the case... can I just solder those together at the switch? I've not purchased the pup yet... but hope to move forward with my R&D soon! Thanks!
    ---Jim

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  2. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021