1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring Question: Trimpot to balance coil split volume disparity

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jbay, Apr 23, 2010.

1. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    Would appreciate some help :)

I have a pair of 500K push/pull pots running as volume controls on my passive soapbars. I'm using 1 side of the DPDT on each push/pull to do a series/single on each soapbar.

Issue I'm having is that there is a HUGE volume difference between the 2 modes. I also find the series mode too hot for my liking. So I'm thinking of using the other side of each push/pull's DPDT to wire in a trim pot to reduce each pickup's output when in series mode.

Does anyone have any ideas what kinda values I should be looking at for the trim pots?

2. I would use the other side of the push/pull pots to toggle the signal between the input and output of the trim pot, but this means that the trim pots will be adding a load to the circuit regardless of whether you are in series or single coil mode, so I would opt for a higher value pot, like 500K.

But OTOH, since you never need to fully silence either pickup with the trim pot, you might consider leaving the ground off of the pots to just add series resistance to the signal.
    In that case, the value really isn't important as long as you can fine tune the volume where you want it.

3. ex-tension

ex-tension

Jun 11, 2009
    Have you tried parallel mode?

4. Parallel mode would have a different tonality...

5. jbay

jbay

May 23, 2002
    Singapore
    I switched the wiring from parallel to series cos I wasn't digging the tone :)

Putting the trimpot in series was the idea. Just wondering what would be a good value to get.

Don't have a voltmeter with me so I can't measure. But rolling back by 1/3 on the 500K audio taper volume pot right now, gives a balance output vs full on when in single coil mode. Which I'm guessing would be around 150Kohm?

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    250k linear trimpots should give you what you need without being too touchy to adjust, especially if you leave off the ground as line6man suggests.