Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mjw, Nov 14, 2003.

1. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA

I've got an Eden rig and am curious about something and would appreciate your comments.

I've got a WT550 head and (2) 4-ohm D210XST cabs.

The head has 1/4" amp-outs and the cabs have 1/4"
    inputs, as well as binding posts. I'm using 8mm FatMax 1/4" x 1/4" cables, but have always heard how little contact 1/4" connectors actually make.

Now, I'm not having *any* problems with my current setup, but, being the fanatic that I am, I wondered if there'd be any potential benefit to add bananna-plug jumpers between the binding posts on each cab, just for a little more conductivity.

The image below explains what I mean. Thanks.

2. Umm...I don't think that you will see any gain from something like that as your power is going to the speakers through the 1/4 inch plugs. The binding post connection is to late in the chain to do any good.
  3. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I was thinking the same thing after I posted this, since there are no binding posts on the amp.

But, there's an NL4 connector on it. So what about using an NL4 cable with dual bananna plugs?

Don't know if such a beast exists, but like I said, I'm just curious.
  4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    The Eden likes 2 ohms?
  5. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Yep! The WT550 does! :) (one reason I bought it!) .... Don't know how David does it, but I ain't complainin'.....
  6. The 1/4 connectors have plenty of contact space on them. If you doubt this, play your amp for an hour and 2, then stop, shut off the amp, unplug the cable from the back of the cab. Put your hand on the jack plate. If you get a second degree burn, you should start to worry. If you are not getting excessive heat, you are getting good contact, and there is nothing to worry about.
  7. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    Thanks RedBassMan! That's why I post this stuff. Sure appreciate it man....
  8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    I wouldn't use the banana jacks if you're already using the 1/4 in. inputs. My fear would be that if the banana plug was inserted the wrong way in one of the cabinets, the amp's output would be shorted.

You might not do it, but if someone was walking behind your rig at a gig and accidently pulled the plug out, they might not exercise the same caution as you would and could plug it in backwards.

Murphy's Law always applies!!!!