Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring Question....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Rocinante_x1, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    I need help.. Today, I just ordered some S.Duncan SPB-3 Qtr. Pound Split coils and I need to wire them to my pots... but the thing is.. i have a PJ setup. I dont know which would go to which wire because my bass is already wired wrong. The Volume Know Doesnt work at all... and the Tone knob for the Split coil is fine, the Tone Know for the Single Coil is fine, but the Volume knob doesnt work.... I dont know what the problem is. And I want to be sure what is wrong with the wiring before I get the Pups in the mail.

If anyone could help me, that would be appreciated much.
    If you dont understand what im talking about, please ask a question.

---Rocinante_x1

2. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    it should probably look like this, if your going for a vol/vol/tone set up. on the jazz pup i put two wires (red/blue) connecting, your pup may not have these two wires if its a strait up single coil but some jazzies like my dimarzios are actually 2 singlecoils wired together like that. if thats the case then just ignore that part. basically black will be grounded and white goes into the volume pot. then its all connected together right down to the tone and into the output jack via the blue wires. im not sure what the actual color of the connecting wires (red/blue) on your precision pup will be but for the sake of simplifying the diagram i just chose those colors, the white and black will be just that so you shouldnt have a problem identifying those wires. just remember to ground all your loose connections, thats what gave me trouble my first time trying to wire pups.

3. Rocinante_x1

Rocinante_x1 Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    Washington State
    okay thanks.. ill keep that in mind.
    This will be my first Pup change, so i want to be sure to have it correct for it to be successful. Im switching from EMGs to S.Duncan Qtr. Pounders. (only my split coils for now.) im only 15 and have no job, so i have to get money by doing odd jobs around the place... all I need now is 55.00 for an SJB-3... HEEHEE

Thanks for the input.
    ---Rocinante