1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wiring question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by VincentGrim, Apr 8, 2009.

1. VincentGrim

VincentGrim Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Okiiiiii, right to the point. I want to wire my pickups directly to the input/output((I've heard it called both, sooooo)). My question is, by doing this will the sound be more related to the pickups with the tone at 0% or when they are at 100%?
    I'm hoping to do this to my pbass when I get a hold of some Seymour Duncan 1/4, if that info helps.

:bassist:

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
  3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    RedLeg is correct. Removing the pots is the same as having the tone cranked open.... plus some. So it will be a bit brighter.

If you can solder, it's an easy mod that is easily reversible. I recommend everybody with a P bass try it at some point. My rock bass has just the tone cap/pot disabled. I keep the volume since I like to be able to mute the bass at times. The tone pot is still there just to fill the hole.

If you want a slightly more aggressive tone than the stock pickups, you will like the 1/4 pounders. :bassist:

P.S. It is an output jack on a bass, never an input.

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    The resonant frequency of the pickups will shift higher, which is why they sound brighter.

Might or might not be the tone you want.

It's easy enough to reverse if you don't like it.

(As a side note, I'm always amused that for as many people who don't like active basses, there's those that want to remove the pots, which is pretty close to the same tone. ;) )

5. Removing the pots does take you closer to active territory, because an active circuit does not load the signal down the way passive volume and tone pots do, but i think alot of people are in it for the simplicity. Active circuits can be a PITA with batteries and extra controls and all, so nothing beats a simple reliable straight-to-output design.

Plus, it seems like most people do it on P basses. It can be tough to get a preamp on a P bass unless you route it for a battery box and drill extra pot holes for the EQ and such.
    Jazz and Precision basses are so simple/barebones to begin with that it's easier to just stick with passive mods.

6. VincentGrim

VincentGrim Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    Just what I wanted to hear, you guys rock! And thanks for clearing up my output confusion Seanm.

:bassist:

7. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I have not so fond memories of routing my '74 Ric 4001 to make room for a battery and then having to remove all those pickguard screws to replace the battery!

But active basses are pretty simple now, and I haven't had a battery go dead since 1977.

That said I've been playing a passive bass all week. :)

8. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    BTW, it's an OUTPUT jack on the bass. Sure, some call it an input, but the signal goes OUT of the bass towards the amp there, so it's an output. Small point, but it's critical to understand signal flow when you start trouble-shooting things. And if you think through why it's called an output jack on the bass, and which ones on an amp are outputs and which are inputs, you get a clearer understanding of how your gear works.

jte

9. Huge +1, it always irritates the crap out of me when people call their basses' output jack an "input jack".