Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring question?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by egb41, Jul 8, 2003.


  1. egb41

    egb41

    Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    I bought an ibanez SR506 a couple of weeks ago and I noticed that the bass was eating batteries so I did several searchs and decided that It was most probably the out put jack sticking in the closed position. Well when I opened the control cavity to my suprise the pc board had another battery holder that had been bypassed. Only one battery was hooked up the one in the stock battery compartment. So I went to radio shack and bought electrical tape and 9 volt battery clips. Did a Google search and went to a site supposedly for emg pickups that described the mod that I wanted to perform. Nothing, zilch ,nada. So I scratched my head and noticed that the positive and the negative come right off of the pc board. I'm sure this isn't the stock preamp. Anyhow what I did was connect the positive from the pc board the new battery clip and the one coming from the stock battery compartment. I did the same withe the negative side and voila everything works fine and maybe just maybe I can hear a little difference in the bass> I do know that I only had to turn the bass boost a slight turn for a noticeable difference. So I did a little experiment I disconnected the stock battery and the controls still worked. Whew! Here is my concern this wiring scheme doesn't make sense to me but on the other hand if the bass isn't wired correctly wouldn't it not work? And is there a possibility of any damage? Sorry about the long post. Oh by the way it's a two band boost/cut preamp. Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated.
     
  2. Trevorus

    Trevorus

    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    please post a pic to help us help you. It's kinda hard to decipher the situation from just a description.
     
  3. egb41

    egb41

    Mar 26, 2003
    U.S.A OHIO Columbus
    Sorry no digital camera. I just was concerned that I am not risking any damage.And the logic of would it work if wired incorrectly?
     
  4. Trevorus

    Trevorus

    Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    well, theoretically, no. I think you should be running your electronics at 18 volts.