wiring question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Elf2112, Aug 24, 2003.

1. Elf2112

Aug 22, 2003
    Hey all, at risk of sounding like a complete dolt, I have a simple wiring question.
    I bought a new setup today, Ampeg B4-R head, SVT-410 and SV-15.
    I was looking into bi-amping this setup, but am unsure if I am wiring correctly. It seems like when I wire according to the manual I get absolute squat for power, literally almost nothing. I checked the toggle for biamp versus full range.
    When I just wire it normally through speaker outs, big booming amounts of power.

Should I bi-amp this setup?
    Are there any problems with just using speakers outs, and if wired this way should they both be using channel A? Also, will this produce too much power for either cab? The b4-r is a 1kWatt head.

Any suggestions/help is appreciated.

2. redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    This is a guess at setting this up for Biamp operation, but try this:

1) On the back of the amp, Press the Full Range/Biamp Button in (to put the amp in Biamp Mode).

2) Also on the back, Make sure the Stereo/Mono Button is out (to ensure the amp is in Stereo Mode).

3) Connect the Channel A speaker Out to the 1x15 cabinet with a Speaker Cable.

4) Connect the Channel B speaker Out to the 4x10 cabinet with a Speaker Cable.

5) On the Front of the amp, Turn the Frequency knob completely to the Left. This should be either 50hz or 100hz depending on the model.

6) Also on the Front of the Amp, Set the Balance Knob at 12 oclock (Flat setting).

7) Turn the Master (volume) to 0.

8) Plug in your Bass and Turn the Power on.

9) While playing, Turn the Master Volume to the Right to get a decent volume.

10) Adjust Amp tone and EQ settings to your liking.

11) Play with the Balance Knob to adjust the amount of sound out of each Speaker.

This should send the lowest frequencies to the 1x15 and the Mids/Highs to the 4x10.