1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wiring rca plugs question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by darkstorm, Jan 18, 2012.

1. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    I'm needing to add a rca plug to some shielded cable. Unlike other such cable Ive used this stuff has outer briad wire plus two inner wires in their own jacket. One black, one purple. Doe anyone who does electronics know if this is right way to wire to the plug? Or what correct way is? Ty

I'm thinking Outer braid to ground, black wire to ground, purple positive wire to tip? Its analysis plus copper oval cable if anyones familiar with it.

Alternately maybe wire the outer braid as ground and the purple and black ones together for positive since this would give about equal wire gauage to positive and negative?

Is for regular rca interconnect pair for cd player to receiver btw. Trying to make two one meter cables one left one right out of a single two meter one. The heatshrink wrap one the existing rca plugs at cables ends isnt coming off so cant take a look to see how they wired them,

2. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Some of my gear like Korg Kaos pad which does some wicked bass synths voices btw among other things. Uses rca outs. And I'm upgrading its cable to mixer. And I also use a pair of rca interconnects rca to rca to go from bass processor to mixer. On the processor side I use stereo rca to stereo 1/4 adapter. And yes I have emailed the mfg for wiring help. aHoping to hear from somewhere here in mean time if lucky. Lol.

I had ordered a pair of half meter interconects and the box that came by fedexe contained a single 2 meter cable instead. So wanting to make it into two, one meter long ones for a pair. Lol.

3. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Talked to the folks at AP today. They wire their rca copper ovals like is done in shielded guitar wiring in the cavity. Outer braid plus the black wire to grounf and the purple wire to tip positive. Instead of the more common multi wire rca to rca & 1/4 to 1/4 instrument plug cables. Where you do outer braid to ground and the 2 inner wires to tip positive. Their guitar cables are same way. Braid plus one inner wire for ground and other inner wire to tip. Now I'm staring to get a little more interested in their guitar cables. Lol.

4. RCA's are mono so you really only need a ground and positive. You don't really need to use the black wire if you don't want to. Just make sure you use one cable for positive and one for negative. Personally I would use the two inner wires and not worry so much about the outside braid. Just make sure you solder the same wires to the same ends on the RCA plugs.

5. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Gotto do it like the existing rca on each end of the original single cable. Otherwise Id be wring the rca plugs that where added to the two new ends (from cable cut in half) wrong. Theres noise rejection advantages to doing it their way to. But yes, if I had been adding new rcs's to both ends Id of prob done it braid to ground and two inner wires to tip. Same as upper end monster, most of audioquest and others I know of who use multiple inner wires.

The ordered cable was a pair of half meter interconnects, the company I ordered it from sent me the right box, markes as ordered product, but mfg had put single cable of 2meter length inside the box instead by mistake. So to make a pair was case of cut in half and add rca's to cut ends wired the same as the stock rca now on one end of each new cable. Lol.

Now if I was going to run stereo doubleneck Id use their 15 ft bass oval instrument cable and have them wire it with streo plugs using the two inner jacketed wires for 1 left and one right, then just the braid to ground. Which would plug into some simple splitter box to give two 1'4 jacks, one right one left.for short cable to run one to guitar processor & one for bass processor.