Wiring Schematic for Passive Lakland 55-01 Configuration w/series/paralell switches

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kirkm24, Jan 18, 2010.

1. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I recently upgraded my bass with Nordstrand Big Singles and actually like them a lot better without the preamp in passive mode. Therefore, I am thinking about nixing the premp completely and installing a passive system. My idea is to have a series paralell switch on each pickup and volume/volume/tone. Basically I am wanting to wire it like a jazz bass but with series/paralell switches on each pickup (since I have 5 holes to deal with). Does anyone have a schematic for this type of setup? Also, what type of switches would I get and where could I get them from? I'm excited about this but don't know how to do it so any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

2. I'll draw you a diagram.

FWIW, I have this diagram on hand for the same setup, plus a master series/parallel, incase you are interested in that.
    3840309786_386f89c680_o.png

3. Ok, here is your completed diagram:
    4286292246_1fc897ab3d_o.png

4. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    Not to sound totally stupid here but what does NC and SC stand for?

If I'm reading this correctly, the pickup leads go straight to the switches and from the switches you run to the individual volume pots?

Can you recommend switches to use? I was just going to get a standard Jazz Bass wiring kit and then a pair of switches.

5. Not a stupid question at all, I probably should have elaborated on the diagram.:hyper:

NC stands for "north coil", and SC stands for "south coil".

Use DPDT mini toggle switches.
    On/On for Series/Parallel, or On/On/On, of this variety 3839520055_b3ec197c4c_o.png for Series/North Coil/Parallel.
    You can swap the north and south coil leads on the switches for Series/South Coil/Parallel as well.

6. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    If you only have a hot and ground wire coming from you pickup, how do you split the coils?

7. You don't.

You need pickups with a 4-conductor output to do series/parallel options.

8. kirkm24

kirkm24

Jan 1, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    I guess this wiring configuration is not going to work with my Big Singles then.

9. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    You can't wire your individual pickups to series/parallel. But you can add a master series/parallel.

Right now, they're wired in parallel. Series will give you a beefier Precision-esque sound.

10. Yep, you can do the master Series/Parallel switching, which people add to their Jazz basses all the time.

For the second hole, you could do any number of things.
    You could do a killswitch, which can be a pretty useful.
    A phase reversal switch is also an option, though it's really only good for a weird sound effect, not really a usable tone in most situations.
    You could also do a switch to select between two or three different capacitor values for the tone control. (Or one of them could be a bypass setting instead of a capacitor.)

11. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    The best idea I came up with was a Ric-style cap switch.

Dummy knob/switch is always cool too. Tell your bandmates it turns up your "mojo" factor, or make up something ridiculous.

12. line6man, what software do you use to draw these diagrams?

13. MS Paint.