Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring Speakon's for Mono

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by crazyphil, Aug 12, 2003.

1. I will be buying a QSC 1202 which I plan to run mono using a Speakon connector to a cab...I know I need to re-wire the cable for mono. I've looked up the information and, although I've found some info, I have yet to find a detailed, easy to read diagram on how to do this. Is it hard? Does it have to be re-wired from both ends? Also, if I have 2 8 ohm cabs that I want to run in parallel (4 ohm mono), how would I wire it using only one speakon cable? Thanks in advance.

2. dpaton

dpaton

Jan 21, 2002
    Schaumburg, IL
    Well, rewiring the cable to feed two cabs from a single cable will require you to build a Y of some kind. I'd recommend just running a cable between the two cabs (parallel them) and then run a cable to the amp, assuming at least one cab has a parallel set of connectors. If not, the guys at Guitar Center can order one for you for about $25 if I remember right.

The speakon you want to rewire is on the amp end. According to QSC, you need to wire the speakon so that cab plus is on pin 1+ and cab minus is on pin 2+. Then you plug it into output #1 ONLY. All of this is detailed in the PLX manual, page 10 or 11.

Basically you'll move the black wire from 1- to 2+ inside the amp-end speakon. Make very sure to mark the modified end fo the cable as amp-only otherwise you'll run the risk of plugging it in backwards, or using the wrong cable, which would be...um..bad.

The best way to do it is to build a little connector panel with a speakon on it, and then run wires to the amp's binding posts. It's foolproof, and lets you use normal speakon cables. That assumes of course, that your amp will live in a rack, with rear rails. PM me for more info and pix if you want.

-dave