1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring the Frankenbass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Scott Roc, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Scott Roc

Scott Roc

Sep 26, 2008
    Brooklyn baby!
    Like all "renovations" its become a runaway train.

I've dropped quarter pounders into the p bass, and I found there isn't as much range as I like using the old 250k stock pots.
    I play in a thrash band and like a very punch midtone, the Basslines are eq'd towards the low end and I want to bring out those mids more. I'd been playing a J Bass with the bridge pick up off and the tone turn all the way bright, and had been pretty happy with the sound, to give a reference.
    From what I've read 1 meg pots will really bring those out in a serious way.
    As for capacitors this article: http://www.premierguitar.com/magazine/issue/2008/Mar/Auditioning_Tone_Capacitors.aspx
    Gave me good ideas, and I'm going to try a couple of Orange Drops using the method described in the article.

What I am hoping to know though is about those 1 megs. Does anyone have experience running those? Is it a retarded idea, or seriously metal?
    Any input is appreciated.

2. GlennW

GlennW

Sep 6, 2006
    Try going straight to the jack...no pots. It's free and easy, and you might like it.