Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring the OBP-3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by BassTerd, Sep 17, 2003.

1. BassTerd

BassTerd Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm going to order an Aguilar OBP-3 and stick it in my Warwick Corvette 6. I was looking at the wiring diagrams on the Aguilar website and it looks like i would be using the blend, volume,stacked tone wiring. The thing is that in the wiring diagram it looks like i would have to drill a hole into my bass to stick in the pot for the mid. Is this correct? Also does the OBP-3 come with pots?

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    davidmwilson is sending me the one that i just paid him for. to my understanding, there are two:

obp-3 TK
    obp-3 SK (i think it's sk)

the one that i bought from dave is the TK and that comes with Bass, Treble, and Mid pots. total of three pots and one switch (mid freq).

i'm perdy sure that that SK comes with Bass/Treble (stacked) and mid pots. total of two pots and one switch.

word from the wise - if you search around, you will notice a lot of dissapointment from people not being able to find a stacked 50K linear pot. aguilar sells them (they are expensive).

below is an email that the aguilar people sent me in re sending my questions:

Dear Carlos,

Thank you for your interest in our products. The OBP-3 is a great preamp and it will really bring that instrument to life.
    We have a few parts that will be helpful to you:
    The 50k Stacked Pot for Treble and Bass sells for $20. This will fit through the plate on your instrument and comes with the standard parts to adjust the height.
    We also have switches that can be used for both the midrange frequency select and for Active/Passive. You will receive one of these with the kit you purchased. If you'd like another we sell them for $14.
    Unfortunately we don't have a stacked volume/blend. Your best bet may be to contact www.allparts.com to find that part or a stacked volume. The value of the volume pot depends on the pickups you are going with.
    Please let me know which of these parts you would like to purchase and your address. I'll get you a shipping quote and then I'll just need a credit card number (visa or mastercard). If you have any other questions please let me know.

Cheers,

Dave Avenius
    Aguilar Amplification LLC

this is the price and cost of shipping to San Antonio:

Dear Carlos,

You will be looking at $20 for the pot and $3 for the shipping and handling via Parcel Post. Please call 800-304-1875 between 10 and 6 to place the order. If I don't answer just leave a message and I will call you back shortly thereafter.

Take Care,
    Dave Avenius
    Aguilar Amplification LLC

i hope this helps. i'm happy i'm putting one in my jazz. i would put one in my corvette pro 6, but that thing is a neck diver and i don't use it that much. i'm in the process of making a better balanced body for it. almost like a single cut. as long as i can get my strap to attach closer to the 12 fret mark, it will balance great.

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    As nojazzloco says, I just sold him a spare one I had bought but didn't use.

All good info about the pots. Stacked vol/blend pots are very very hard to find.

I have an obp-3 in my Warwick Thumb 5, which has three controls like your Corvette. Instead of a stacked blend/mv, which I couldn't get, I used a stacked concentric volume pot. I have EMG pups in my Thumb, so used the concentric 25k pot EMG sell. Not the ideal solution, but I balked at drilling another hole in the bass.

I didn't bother with active/passive switch since I'm using active pups anyway. The mid freq select switch got wired in, but I leave it in the control cavity and set at 800hz for slap cut.

4. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the info nojazzloco and davidmwilson. I dont really want to drill a hole in my bass and I guess i could leave the mid pot in the cavity. BUT, from your responses i read there is a volume/blend pot and I would really like to take this route. I looked on allparts.com but didnt know what to call what I'm looking for. Do you guys know the part number or any info on the stacked volume/blend pot?

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    to my understanding, the volume part of the pot needs to relate to the pick-ups you have.

i have been lazy - i really need to call Bartolini and see.

this is what i'm going to do for my jazz, i just hope it's possible:

use the pots it's coming with bass, treble, mid. use the switch it's coming with for the mid freq. a three-way switch for the pick-up - bridge/both/neck. i would use one of the existing pots for the overall volume.

i am going to have to drill two holes into my "plate" and one hole on the body for the jack. not that big of a job.

good luck..:)

6. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, I don't think I described this clearly enough. Here's how I did my thumb.

knob 1 - stacked vol/vol
    knob 2 - mid
    knob 3 - stacked bass/treble.

mid freq select switch is left in the cavity.

honestly, you're going to have an easier time finding a stacked vol/vol than a stacked vol/blend.

The pot values necessary will depend on what current pickups you have in there. If they're passive, probably use a stacked 250k/250k vol/vol pot which you can get from allparts, stewmac or other places. LIke I said, I used a stacked 25k which EMG sell.

7. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for all the replies. Well i finally broke down and ordered a OBP-3 from bestbasswhatever.com. The guy there was pretty helpful and answered all my questions. I ordered it pre-wired with the active switch. Cant wait to here how it makes my corvette sound. I hope its as dramatic of a difference as i've read around here.

8. BassTerd

Aug 15, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Well i just recieved my OBP-3 in the mail. I ordered this thing pre-wired. The only problem is I dont know were I would solder the wires from the pickup. I have 3 leads coming out of each pickup. Were do they go? I looked on the Aguilar wiring diagram and all it shows is one lead from each pickup connecting to the blend pot. What do I do with the other 2?
    can anyone help?

9. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Has anyone tried the configuration in the Aguilar wiring diagram with the variable mid frequency selection pot?

I'm thinking of spending the extra money to get a custom pot made when I upgrade so I can have my Spector set up like so:

volume --- blend --- stacked bass/treble --- stacked mid/midfrequency

I think it'd be worth the extra dough, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried something similar and could comment on their results. :)

Or also, I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find a pot I could use for the stacked mid & mid frequency control without having to have one custom made? Just wondering if I can save a little money here. ;)

10. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    Email tech support at Aguilar. I exchanged about four emails with them last week. They were extremely helpful and quick, too.

Glenn D.

11. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    ok, what make of pickups are these?
    Since you have a corvette, I'm assuming these are active MEC's. So you should have a red, white and black wire on each pup. right?

The white is the 'hot' output, black is 'cold' ground and red is the battery input.

The other possibility is where I've seen some pups like Carvins which have hot, cold and a special shielding ground wire.

ok, looking at the pot from the back, the neck hot pup output should go to the middle lug nearest you - this should currently have nothing attached to it. The bridge hot pup out should go to the middle lug nearest the pot shaft.

bartolini's blend bot wiring diagram

Note - this is the most common blend pot wiring, if you do it this way and find the blend operation is reversed, just reverse the blend pot wiring you just did and it should work fine.

The black ground wire should to go ground, where that is depends on the ground scheme you're using. Generally I put copper foil in the cavity, ground to that and also then the pots ground to that when installed. I then run some wire from the foil to the ground log on the jack. Other options are to ground to back of the various pots, connect them up and then that ground goes to the jack ground.

The red wire you should splice in with the red wire on the preamp battery connection.

hope that helps. I'm off on vacation tomorrow for 10 days, good luck!

12. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    I talked to Aguilar tech support, as well as Tom Russin from www.potentiometer.com (State Electronics), and he said that I could have a single pot made with the configuration I need, however it would cost nearly $100. Yikes.

I'm willing to pay that price to get the setup I want, if absolutely necessary, but in my other post I was just wondering if anyone had found them for less. :)

Thanks

13. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Lockout (and others):

Looks like you and I may be in the same situation: I'd like to install an OBP-3 in my Stingray 5 (together with a Basslines Alnico pickup), and would like the Mid-knob to be a push pull, where the "push" position sets the mid-frequency to 400Hz, and the "pull" position sets the mid-freq to 800Hz.

Aguilar Tech Support told me that this would be fine, but it would be difficult finding an appropriate pot, namely:
    * DPDT
    * linear taper
    * center detent (the mid is both cut and boost(

FYI, Mouser Electronics does have a pot that's close, except it has no center detent. Bummer.

If this is identical to what you're looking for, maybe the guy at potentiometer.com would charge only a small amount more for 2 of these things. Lemme know.

-Greg