Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wiring thoughts: singcoil to humbucker

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mcbrat, Dec 14, 2005.

1. mcbrat

mcbrat Electra Outlaw

Dec 22, 2004
    okay, I've got a '70 Musicmaster bass, with a 6-pole single coil strat pickup in it (original). I've got a strat sized double rail humbucker coming, and I want to get your thoughts on wiring options....

will be using stock type pickguard, so only have room for 2 pots. maybe some mini switches in addition to the 2 pots...

I was thinking about using a 5-way switch to get some sound variations, as well as some push/pull pots for coil taps, etc...

any thoughts....

2. I'm not sure if you intend to install the humbucker as well as the single coil or it's a replacement. If it's the former, a fellow member of The Gear Page asked yesterday about using a 5-way switch to get some of the most useful combinations between a humbucker and a P90 and I worked out a suitable wiring using a DP5T switch for him. Check it out (next to last post): http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=118332

If it's just the humbucker, with a sc-sized one there's not much point in having the option to select one coil or the other (they're too close together to make much of a difference) so a simple Series/Parallel/Split with an on-on-on switch should be enough (4th row): http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.1wiringdiagrams.humbuckerwiringmods/

Personally I think out-of-phase combinations are not much use, especially in a bass, and again due to the distance between the coils, you would get close to no sound at all, so I think S/P/Sp. pretty much covers all the useful options you can get.

3. mcbrat

mcbrat Electra Outlaw

Dec 22, 2004
    the 5-way I thought of because I saw it on the same humbucker mods page, but also because I had one on my old Electra MPC bass, but that was for 2 pickups, and even then some of the settings didn't sound any different to me....

it's replacing the original. I like the 3-way switch idea.

*image created using parts of 2 different diagrams from guitarelectronics.com...

[​IMG]

4. mcbrat

mcbrat Electra Outlaw

Dec 22, 2004
    thanks for the input. I wired it up like option 1 in my drawing.

the variety of sounds is awesome compared to stock....

[​IMG]