1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

wiring thoughts: singcoil to humbucker

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mcbrat, Dec 14, 2005.

1. mcbrat

mcbrat Electra Outlaw

Dec 22, 2004
    okay, I've got a '70 Musicmaster bass, with a 6-pole single coil strat pickup in it (original). I've got a strat sized double rail humbucker coming, and I want to get your thoughts on wiring options....

will be using stock type pickguard, so only have room for 2 pots. maybe some mini switches in addition to the 2 pots...

I was thinking about using a 5-way switch to get some sound variations, as well as some push/pull pots for coil taps, etc...

any thoughts....

2. I'm not sure if you intend to install the humbucker as well as the single coil or it's a replacement. If it's the former, a fellow member of The Gear Page asked yesterday about using a 5-way switch to get some of the most useful combinations between a humbucker and a P90 and I worked out a suitable wiring using a DP5T switch for him. Check it out (next to last post): http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=118332

If it's just the humbucker, with a sc-sized one there's not much point in having the option to select one coil or the other (they're too close together to make much of a difference) so a simple Series/Parallel/Split with an on-on-on switch should be enough (4th row): http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.1wiringdiagrams.humbuckerwiringmods/

Personally I think out-of-phase combinations are not much use, especially in a bass, and again due to the distance between the coils, you would get close to no sound at all, so I think S/P/Sp. pretty much covers all the useful options you can get.

3. mcbrat

mcbrat Electra Outlaw

Dec 22, 2004
    the 5-way I thought of because I saw it on the same humbucker mods page, but also because I had one on my old Electra MPC bass, but that was for 2 pickups, and even then some of the settings didn't sound any different to me....

it's replacing the original. I like the 3-way switch idea.

*image created using parts of 2 different diagrams from guitarelectronics.com...

[​IMG]

4. mcbrat

mcbrat Electra Outlaw

Dec 22, 2004
    thanks for the input. I wired it up like option 1 in my drawing.

the variety of sounds is awesome compared to stock....

[​IMG]