wiring to a jack ? no volume control?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PeaveyPlayer, Sep 10, 2017.

1. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    is it possible to bypass all controls and just have a pickup go straight to the jack without a volume either?

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

It's possible. Wire the pickup's hot lead to the tip and the other lead to the ring along with the bridge and shield grounding wires if present.

Note: many players don't like how doing it that way sounds.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  3. Yes ^. You will lose the resistance of the volume pot which will change the sound somewhat. It will add some high's and the sound becomes more open or direct. If you like that, OK. If you don't, you can solder a resistor between hot and ground of the jack input. Value somewhere between 250 and 500 kOhm.

4. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    OR ...
    Solder the wire going to the middle of the pot(s) to the "left" of the pot(s) (not ground).

The pot(s) remain and guarantee the same sound - but they don't work - only as "dummy resistors" for the same sound.

5. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    I am thinking about installing push-pull volume pot with bybass option.

6. Uche_bass

Uche_bass

Jul 31, 2017
    Argentina
    I broke a volume pot and replaced by a switch (on-off) so far, so good. Maybe I'll put another switch to bypass the tone control and be able to use it or have the pup directly to the jack depending on the situation

7. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
  8. FWIW, a no-load tone pot is completely removed from the circuit when turned up full. You can buy these from many places. They are easy to make as well.

If you are handy with DIY, you can also make a volume pot that is no-load when fully up. I made a video on it if you are interested.

With a no-load tone and volume pots turned up fully, this is electronically the same as having the pickup wired straight to the jack.

Also FWIW, if you have an M/N blend pot, it will still work just fine with the earth wire removed. And with this mod, it too will have no load when set in the centre.

Uche_bass likes this.
  9. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021