1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring to get the "hottest" tone...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tommygunn, Apr 15, 2010.

1. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    I know 500k pots (pot, I already removed the tone knob :rolleyes:), and cloth covered wires... but what else? Thanks.

2. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    get a 1 meg pot? honestly, if you still cant get hot enough tone...get a new amp, haha.

3. Forget the pots all together and wire straight to the jack!

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Does it really give a hotter tone?

Will a 1 meg pot fit in a 50's pbass control route? I'm thinking about winding my pickups professionally (to be overwound) but I don't want the extra bass, the pups are bassy enough, if not too much... other suggestions?

5. Preamp?

6. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Don't really feel like routing it... even an agular pre that fits in the cavity. Plus I'm trying to stick to passive basses.

7. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Varitone harness?

8. G&L's have both a bass and treble knob, even in passive mode. Possibly you could use a similar wiring scheme with larger value pots?

9. Where on earth were you getting the idea that cloth covered wire would equate to anything different?

The only possible thing I could think of is that if you were using shielded wire, switching to non-shielded wire would lessen the amount of capacitance in the wire. Then there is the whole thing about thicker wire gauges equating to quicker transients on the low frequencies, and other such things that some people like to nitpick about, but for all practical purposes, it's safe to say that the amplitude of signal traveling through the wire is not going to change because you use a different kind of wire.:rollno:

Why wouldn't it?

10. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i'm going to try different capacitors. i have 0.047uf now. i will be swapping 0.022, 0.033, etc. trying for a darker, more gloomy tone!!! (wish me luck)

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    yeah, you'de be suprised how much you can hardly tell. i did this with my guitar and ran wires outside of the pickguard to clip on different caps. it was a waste of time, honestly.

12. Then you need to go up in value, not down.

Try a 0.1uF.

13. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

What do you mean by "hottest tone?" Loudest? Most treble?

Totally different solutions depending on what you really want.

14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    hmmm,... so going lower is futile for the most part, huh? thanks guys, i'll try going higher. where should i stop,.. perhaps @ 0.8uF??? anything but that stock Fender tone!!! :help:

(sorry for the hi-jack, but it's better than getting cyber scolded for not using the search button)

15. 0.1uF is just about the highest value you could use for a tone control.

16. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Remove the other pot.

And cloth wires do nothing. I wonder who told you that.

17. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    1M pots
    8-gauge wire

18. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    Hmmm... by hot I mean...us well think of duncan QPs, hot pups, like that.

What cap should I use? 1m pots or only volume? Thanks

19. +1...maximum tone means not allowing ANY signal to leak to ground....if you need control of volume and/or tone on board, go active.

20. Punkster

Punkster

Feb 26, 2010
    OK, i am a sarcastic dood, and i don't know if that was actually a joke or something!

Can i have a little more of advice here? wiring the pickups straight to the jack?!? O___O

Someone please explain or draw me a diagram.. im kinda lost hehe..

(Sounds like a trully sick idea, btw)