1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wiring up a doubling board with a Line 6 G70

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JimmyM, Feb 21, 2017.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    So I think I'm going to try the Line 6 G70 wireless with two transmitters because it has a tuner and two separate outputs that can be switched, which comes in handy for me since I double on upright. But I want to make it a one-stomp switch, and I have a couple pedals that I want to use on both electric and upright as well as some pedals I only want on one or the other.

Currently I'm using a little Loop-Master AB pedal to switch, but I'm also using two separate wirelesses. Was thinking about using a simple Y adapter, but I thought I better run it by everyone in here to make sure nothing odd is going to happen with using a Y. I'll never need to play both electric and upright at the same time, and I'd rather not have a pedal taking up room on the board I could use for fun stuff, so I'm thinking that a Y would be the ticket. What do you all think?

2. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Heya Jimmy, you are talking about a passive cable? Or an active (powered) splitter?
    If you try that have someone video it! :D

JimmyM likes this.
  3. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    It might work just fine, but that will require some luck on your end. I think you'll probably end up with added noise from whatever chain is not in use between the receiver and the combiner. You may also experience some gain issues, and maybe a volume drop if you're unlucky. Y cables are cheap though, so why not try it? If that is almost good enough, then maybe switch to a lil passive mixer.

Easiest way to go here is probably to just use a single chain, unless you need a lot of pedals always on and they differ between the instruments.

What's the full chain look like?​

4. Reeneo

Reeneo

Feb 6, 2008
    Kent, UK
    The way I'm reading it is you can set 2 scenes - i.e. one for electric on receiver channel x and set it to output A only / one for upright on chan y to output b only with separate gain boosts/cuts and then cycle between these by clicking the footswitch - and press/hold foot switch for tuner/mute

http://uk.line6.com/data/6/0a064339312b551b201bd3ec1/application/pdf/Relay G70 & G75 Advanced Guide (RevA) - English ( Rev A ).pdf

also you can set different colour LEDs for each scene!

so you should be perfect for your needs!

If this had built in eq to add to the scenes it would be fantastic for me!

Although it's a shame you can't use the older transmitters with it..

JimmyM likes this.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    A mess! I'm quite undecided on the full chain, except I know that the upright side will have EQ and the electric side will have everything else. But there will be a high pass filter for both, and a low pass filter for only the electric, and that is why I want the two signals to be rejoined eventually. Plus I don't want to be switching a bunch of pedals on and off every time I switch over. But the noise issue is a big one for me. I definitely don't want that.

6. Reeneo

Reeneo

Feb 6, 2008
    Kent, UK
    Ah so two signal chains combining at the end.. well you can rig it up to try it out. Maybe if each chain is powered individually isolated from each other. I know you can get transformer isolated combiners.. but I've only seen balanced xor versions.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I do use an isolated PS for the effects. Thx!

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    So the idea is to have an upright with a transmitter and an electric with a transmitter, then two separate sets of pedal chains for each that then get summed together, run through some more pedals and then out to your amp?

The G70 definitely can set scenes particular to each transmitter with separate outputs, so you're good there. I wouldn't use a Y-cable to go back to one signal, though, I'd use a Boss LS2 Line Selector or other buffered blend to keep the signal chains from messing with each other.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Interesting idea. Would hate to use the pedalboard real estate for it, but would hate noise and interference even more. Thx Jason!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Welp, as a follow-up, I ordered the G70 and second transmitter tonight, and I dug out my Y cables and did a test. But the Y's are a no-go. One side of the Y sounded fine, but the other side cut output by a considerable amount, and nothing changed even when I reversed the connections or used a different Y. But I think I can solve this problem without adding an LS-2 to my already cramped board and still have a one-stomp solution...I will put the G70 receiver next to the AB switch and stomp both at the same time :D

11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    OK, so now I'm already irritated with having to stomp on two boxes to switch transmitters, but I don't want to spend money on a pedal the size of the LS-2 that has way more functionality than I need. So here's what I want...

---I want a Y box that's always on (it can have a footswitch for ABY but I'd probably prefer it didn't), combines signals in a non-destructive way into one output, and in a 1590a to fit under my board, although I could overlook a little size to get what I want at a decent price. Would at least prefer not to have something Morley ABY sized, though.

So does that mean I want one with a buffer? Feel free to throw some product names at me!

12. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    This little box is what I use to switch signal paths for fretted and fretless. Passive box. The battery is only for the function LEDs.

ART Pro Audio

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Neato box and I thank you for the suggestion, tfer, but I don't need it to switch between electric and upright. The wireless will cover that. I need it to combine the separate signals into one at the end of my pedalboard so both electric and upright can be run to my amp using only one line and I only have to step on the wireless switch to switch between transmitters. The Y cable dismally failed. I have a Morley box similar to this ART box that I actually haven't tried yet, but since it's also a passive box, I don't think it's going to work any better than the Y cord, plus it's huge and I don't think it'll fit under my board.

14. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I've used it backwards as well, in the way you need - to combine 2 signals into one output. It worked well, with no signal loss.

JimmyM likes this.
  15. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    In order for me to use it the way I do, I actually wire it backwards. The basses go into the output, and the signal leaves via the input. IMG_1835.JPG

Try your Morley. You might be surprised...

JimmyM likes this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Ya, I guess I should since I already have it. OK, stay tuned.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Didn't work. Signal from both basses was cut by about half, and treble was reduced. Back to the drawing board.

18. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    Damn.

19. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    What about using the 2 wireless you have now, then getting one of the effects loop pedals that switches between 2 loops rather than just switching one on and off, then your effects that are common to the two channels go after that loop pedal?

Something like this (not my auction, just for reference)
    2 looper guitar Pedal - Pedal Board Looper - dual Channel Switch-True Bypass | eBay

I think I understood what you want to do correctly.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Dang man, started looking at that and getting excited. And then I realized that it won't work. I'm using two transmitters, but only one receiver. But it does give me hope that maybe Loop-Master can build something, so thx for tipping me off!