Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring Without Pots

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by andvari7, Sep 10, 2005.

1. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    Is there a way to wire a P-Bass pickup without any pots? I have this fretless project P knockoff in my hands (there are previous topics of mine that cover this thing), and while I like the P-bass pickup (not so much the shape as the sound), I'm in the mood for something different.

In case it matters, the pickup in question - some stock P-bass split coil from the 1980s - has four wires: black, white, red and green (but then, so do most passive bass pickups).

As they say in romanized Japanese, arigatou gozaimasu (sorry, it's my major)

2. You could wire it straight through to the jack for a direct pup sound but you would have to control the volume with a peda or at the amp. If that wasn't your tone, you could leave the pots in, adjust them to the point that you liked the tone, then read the value of the pot and replace them with inline resistors of the same values.