Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fishy, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. fishy

    fishy Guest

    Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
    I didn't know if this would go here or wherever, so I decided to just put it here and let the mods move it if they like.

    I need a wiring diagram for an epiphone les paul bass, I want to get this bass in working order because it was my first bass. I have to rewire and probably get new pots for it too.
    Thanks in advance
  2. BillyB_from_LZ


    Sep 7, 2000
    Is the wiring in your bass completely messed up or what?

    Did someone else rewire it and screw it up?

    Anyway, if it's a four knob instrument with no pickup selector switch (like a Les Paul guitar), I would guess that the wiring is very similar to a Jazz bass with an extra tone control.

    Since the bass has humbucking pickups, you'd probably want to use 500Kohm controls. The pickup signal gets connected to the center terminal of the volume control, the non grounded end goes to the tone control.

    To avoid the loading of one pickup by the other's tone control circuit, my guess is that a resistor is placed between the non-grounded end terminal of one volume control and the other. That junction is then connected to the tip of the jack.

    This probably doesn't make much sense, but you can get the basic idea by looking at http://www.mrgearhead.com, clicking on the Fender link on the left then the "guitar and bass wiring diagrams" link at the top.

    I looked at www.epiphone.com and there wasn't any technical help for your bass.

    Good luck!
  3. You can email Gibson at this page and they can give you the schematics for the wiring diagram.


  4. Carey


    Jan 18, 2002
    Redlands, CA
  5. BillyB_from_LZ


    Sep 7, 2000
    The StewMac circuit would work but you'll have to follow the Independant Control modification at the bottom and eliminate the pickup selector switch as I don't believe the Les Paul Bass has one (at least not on the Epiphone site).

    I'd follow Treena's suggestion and get the straight scoop from Gibson...
  6. fishy

    fishy Guest

    Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
    Alright, I've decided to rewire my bass tonight since I don't have work or anything I have to get up for tommorow. I noticed that one set of the pots are called "A500kohms" and the other are "b500kohms" which one would be tone, and which volume? Thanks.
  7. BillyB_from_LZ


    Sep 7, 2000
    I think the "A" taper is audio taper which would be a good volume control. The "B" taper is linear I believe and would be used for tone control.
  8. Primary

    Primary TB Assistant

    Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

    Dec 8, 2021

Share This Page