Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by stuttleif, Mar 17, 2004.

1. stuttleif

stuttleif

Dec 30, 2003
    Ok, I admit it: I'm a newbie regarding electronics. I have tried to search the forums and the web but I still haven't found what I'm looking for (ta-daa!). Here's my case:

I have a '78 precision bass with the original pickup and an extra jazz neck-pickup. The pickups have one volume control each. I would like to have one balance pot and one master volume pot. I have bought three pots (one extra for tone control). But where do I start and what do I do?

I have to take this really from the beginning: The pots have three pins each, there are two wires from each pickup (duh, of course). What do I do now? What wire from which pickup goes where and in what order? Please bear with me... :bag:

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Go to Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, (whoever) website and pull up their wiring diagrams and picked the set up you want. Just make sure you're looking at diagrams for your style pup (active or passive) with same number wires as your pup. Probably passive in your case. No doubt Fender sells pups so they probably have diagrams as well.

I could just tell you but you know the old learn to fish line. Plus you'll find answers to questions you don't even have yet.

I just wired up a set of Fender Lace Sensor jazz pups tonight that I thought had coil taps but they don't work that way so I need to have a look at the Fender site myself.

3. stuttleif

stuttleif

Dec 30, 2003
    Well, if you read my post you saw that I had already tried to look there. They all have lots of diagrams but not the diagram I'm looking for.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    well, you just said you had searched the web but didn't say where...

Check this link out: http://static.zoovy.com/img/guitarelectronics/-/wdujbass1

Ignore the fact that it's for a J bass, it's for a two pickup bass with vol/blend/tone. Your existing pickups have hot and cold wires. If you don't know which is which, the cold/ground wires will be soldered to the back of the existing vol pots most likely.

Wire up as shown on the diagram and you'll be fine.

5. stuttleif

stuttleif

Dec 30, 2003
    You are right, I should have been more precise in my first post. Thank you very much for your reply, I'll check it out. Btw, do you know any reasons for not wanting to do this? Any problems going to come up? I would have thought this would be the most popular configuration?

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Actually guitarelectronics.com has that exact diagram, except for a Jazz bass. There's more active schems than passive and more guitar than bass but a guitar is a guitar when it comes to wiring. I used a Les Paul (and not the bass) diagram to wire a bass last night. Sometimes you just have to pull the blend (whatever) from one diagram and chunk it into another. And even simple diagrams can be a pain to describe in words. So it helps a lot if you just ask about a specific control in question if you think you know the others.

But I don't think I've checked out the link mentioned so I will. Also, I did go to Fender and they ain't got squat. Fender ain't Fender without Leo.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Oops, that is guitar electronics. Was hoping I'd found a new source.

=============

"So it goes." (Kurt Vonegut Jr)