1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

wiringg question yes I checked the sticky this time.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by mrniceguy715, Aug 21, 2007.

1. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    okay I have a p/j set up with standard config from the seymour duncan site. here is the problem. I picked it up to play and the e and a strings had a quaky sound with the p is soloed or when the jazz is turned all the way up. sounds pretty good if I roll back both the volume pots a tad. when the quake is there the e and a alway have only about a thrid of the vol of the others.

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    By quake I'm guessing like a warble - or wolfe tone. Most common on E, less A strings. Typically caused by the strings being too close to the poles. If you've got a strong 1/8" or so from the bottom of the string to pole that shouldn't be an issue unless the pups are pretty hot.

3. mrniceguy715

mrniceguy715

May 2, 2006
    oklahoma
    that was me not not proof reading. i meant more like the sound of a water foul. the strings are really far away from the pick ups i need to find a way to raise the pick ups.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Ah, quack as in duck. That could be interesing if it were balanced, epecially with effects.

You can use about anything to raise the pups: carboard, weather stripping, whatever. Ideally you want something that's on the firm side that has some give so you can use the screws to raise and lower the pup to taste since altering pup height can signficantly alter tone.

Something that doesn't give like cardboard you have to loosen strings/remove pup screws, add/remove padding - not fun. Springs are ideal but not conduscive to use with P/J's. P's in particular or any pup with only two screw towers cause the pup will just tilt.