1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wisconsin Bassist Club chapter IV (to the 4th degree)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Pedulla-Player, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Hello everyone! With all of the talk about pedals and pedal boards on here the last couple of weeks I thought that I would share a video that my good buddy Todd from Black River Productions Studio made the other day. It is his review of the Earthboard EBII pedal board, which he claims is the best board ever. He uses the jam that I did with him last year called politician as the background music, which I found pretty cool ;), so the bass you hear in the beginning of the video is me. Anyways, if you go there to check the video out give him a 'like' and subscribe. He's a great guy and could really use the support to help his studio out. He posts some pretty neat videos from time to time. Anyways, here is the link to his pedalboard review.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    theduke1 and Hoyt like this.
  2. He also did a review of a shop that makes handmade guitars and basses right in Sheboygan called North Point Guitars. I watched the video and it looks like they make some pretty nice instruments at a very fair price. I haven't personally played one yet, but I am definitely wanting to give one a try next time I go down to visit him. Thanks again for checking his videos out and please help spread the word about his studio if you know anyone or a band that is looking to do some studio recording. He would most definitely appreciate any help on getting the word out about his studio. I'm not just praising his recording and mixing skills because he is one of my best friends - he is just that good at it. Thanks again!

theduke1 likes this.
  3. He also has recently started a 'Black River Presents' where he features local bands (or Wisconsin bands) playing in his studio. Get in touch with him if you would like more information on how to get a chance to be featured.

theduke1 likes this.
  4. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    The shop the makes these instruments is part of Lakeside Music they have full service shops in Sheboygan & Manitowoc
    WBC member Cory Ripley in the manager of the Manitowoc shop
    Duke

Pedulla-Player likes this.
  5. I did not know that. Thanks for sharing that information.

theduke1 likes this.
  6. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    A busy music week for me
    Thursday Brookfield Jam Band 1-4 pm
    Praise Team Rehearsal 7/9 pm
    Saturday Band Audition noon-?
    What does your week look like?
    Duke

Pedulla-Player and SemiDriven like this.
  7. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I will be getting my 1st COVID vaccine shot tomorrow
    Duke

8. Door County Bass

Door County Bass DC EMT 663 Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2015
    Wisconsin
    According to my doctor, I cracked two ribs a week ago when I fell backwards down 10 stairs (while moving furniture). All YMCA activities put on hold for 4-6 weeks. Luckily, I can find a somewhat comfortable position to practice my bass stuff. Looks like I’ll have some (quality?) time in the shed. So, to answer your question, this is how my week looks. I’d gladly trade places.

9. SemiDriven

SemiDriven Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Last week was my busy week. (Praise Rehearsal Monday night; Church Thursday night and Sunday morning)

This week, just a Friday night gig. :bassist:

10. SemiDriven

SemiDriven Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yikes!

A year ago, I severely sprained my right wrist area. After having a portable, hard cast put on (could be removed at will), I said "why not" and attempted to play the bass without the cast on. I was flabbergasted that I actually could play without too much pain! (also helped to keep my wrist area straighter!) In fact, I think the playing actually helped in the healing process (I long as I didn't over do it).

Here's hoping you get some quality playing time in through your recovery period! :thumbsup:

11. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Hoping you heal and recover quickly
    Duke

12. Plutonium244

Plutonium244 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I am of the opinion that doing some of what you will want your body to do later is essential in healing -if you need to rehab it, why not habituate it to doing the very thing you want for it all to work right for?

My injury story - Jan 25th 2020 I injured my left index finger in a snow blower accident. Badly cut so I was always worried about the cut's recovery/healing. Then covid. In the end, the cut has come out okay - I can feel it but not a detriment to playing- but the ligament damage etc that I wasn't even really aware of early on were a much bigger problem on the long run.

It still needs to be managed but, 16 months after the injury, it actually seems to be improving. I think that is in part b/c I switched from not trying to play much (as it caused me pain) and doing other exercises for it, to using bass playing as my physical therapy for it. I don't wanna jinx it but it's become manageable. Adjusting technique a bit important too. When I am concentrating on my left hand and finger, I can play without pain, but I am trying to get to where I can safely play while NOT thinking about it - when my mind wanders I occasionally get a pain from not adhering to my new technique imperatives.

TLDNR; doing exercises very specific to what you will be repetitively doing - playing bass - are important to recovery IMO. Just don't overdo it - and focus on the movements etc. Sure, you want to "cross train" it - do other rehab - but a pitcher would never leave exercises that simulate throwing a ball out of his rehab plan.

13. Door County Bass

Feb 9, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Thanks.
    Today I hired some roofing friends to take care of a couple problems regarding moss on the shingles. I learned my lesson (but in my mind I’m only 18 and could have done it, lol).

Pedulla-Player and nbsipics like this.
  14. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    I think there is a country song in there!
    Lol
    Duke

15. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Something like this?
    I ain't as good as I once was
    My how the years have flown
    But there was a time, back in my prime
    When I could really hold my own
    If you want to fight tonight
    Guess them boys don't look all that tough
    I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once
    As I ever was
    Duke

16. Door County Bass

Feb 9, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Ah, the story of my life.
    I can’t sing lead, but I’ll harmonize and listeners can empathize.
    Should make millions, lol.

17. Well, you asked for an update on what I decided on a pedal board.

Here it is, could it be any more bare minimum? Probably not. Just a small board with my wireless and tuner in place. Pull it out of the case, two plugs, easy-peezy.
    WCUzRzNX9ptIszg3bSYxyS5M1gy4faiTRoEca0o1fW2sS1msOLVsNWqSB8BruunbnS2_HYll=w477-h635-no?authuser=0.jpg

18. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Manitowoc WI
    Now you have room for more pedals
    Duke

Door County Bass likes this.
  19. This is true. And even if I don't add any the setup is quick and easy. :thumbsup:

20. mikew31

mikew31 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Superior, WI
    Ha! Love the picture with the former cajon player/singer:roflmao:

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021