Wisconsin Bassist Club chapter IV (to the 4th degree)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Pedulla-Player, Aug 20, 2013.

1. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hey guys, it's been a moment...
    Update on the music situation:
    The band has been cranking along and been playing some nice shows. I bought an Orange amp earlier this year that needed some new tubes about two months ago. I had those replaced, got to play a street stage at Harley Fest, and then that set burned out. Been in repairs since. Played a couple shows with my backup Fender TV15 which doesn't really cut the mustard anymore, so I bought an Ampeg PF800 this past weekend, that completely crapped out on stage on me on Saturday. I also had a favorite fuzz pedal crap out on me (before the Ampeg incident), then I find I've got a bad volume pot on my workhorse Jazz that's cutting signal. Then I get a flat tire that's not repairable. Bad gear luck upon more bad luck.

Hopefully all the bad is done (at least for a little bit) now, and it's on the up and up once again. We are playing a live set on 91.7FM WMSE tonight if anyone wants to catch it - 8PM for Local Live. You can catch it on the old technology called a "radio" or there is a live feed from their website. Hope some of you guys tune in if you catch this message in time. I'll let you know how it went...

Cheers, Wisconsin Bassists!

2. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI

I think I'll wait for the next taxi.

Talk about some bum gear luck. Cars are always a bitch. On the bright side, yes you are gigging and that's certainly a great thing!

3. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Subscribed.

It has been a horrible month but at long last I'm home from the hospital.
    Details when the healing gets stronger.

Just reading for now.

4. SemiDriven

SemiDriven Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hang in there brother!

Hope the healing process progresses smoothly.

5. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    Ll

Peace and love get well soon

6. Wishing you the best my friend!

7. So I'm not the only one with bad luck. It's nice to know , but sucks for you for sure. I hope things turn around and your luck swings to the good side. Take care my low-end brothern!

8. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI

Prayers and good things to you and your family.

9. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Greatly appreciated sentiments and prayers my bass brothers and sisters. At this moment I have been pulled from shallow sleep by the lingering pain from the toughest bouts of surgery I have endured.

Even being home where it is quieter I can't seem to sleep longer than 45 minutes to an hour at a time.

It has been a long time since the radiation therapy concluded but here I am, once again, nursing a swollen tongue, cheeks and gums. Although I survived; the radiation pretty much destroyed my taste buds, salivary glands and burned the enamel off my teeth.

Bottom line I wound up with radiation induced Oste-Necrosis in my mandible.

The past month was in and out of surgery and overnights due to infections in about every area of the face, cheeks, neck, and gums.

This culminated in having a partial mandible-ectomy. In english they cut out a large section of the lower jaw bone and installed a custom aerospace looking replacement anchored to the remaining healthy bone by four screws on either side.

Can't talk very well, everything is slurred, drool a lot because the nerves on the chin were cut and reattached. Pain, pain, pain as the slice and dice scar runs from ear to ear.

Thusly 2013 has been a pretty crappy year.
    And to boot there goes my solo bass act gig and the fill in for hire gigs because I can' talk well and definitely can't sing anymore.

10. SemiDriven

Sep 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    ^^ Crappy year indeed!

Thank you for your courageous honesty.

Sleeping 45 minutes at a crack stinks.

I tip my hat to solo act bass players! :cool:

Tell you what -- I'd listen to you play despite the drooling! :bassist:

Pain sucks...keep your chops up when you can -- you never know the possibilities that can happen (even for us "old" geezers!) :D

Come on 2014!!

11. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    My house will keep you in our prayers Mr Bear. You are truly courageous to share your experience with us. It may take to song from your lips for now but it will never take the music from your soul. My God bless you and hold you in his hand

12. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Sincerely, from the heart, words cannot express how great each member of this Elite Group can make a a person feel.

Thank you so much for the Bass Love.

A little over 10 years ago when this all started I was sitting alone in my apartment/room at the Hope Lodge in Marshfield. For those that don't know this is a group with a huge hotel style building that offers a number of small apartments with a living room, bedroom, bathroom and work desk area gratis. If you are undergoing Cancer Treatment you qualify for a free stay. Yet another marvelous group of people.

I was nearing the end of 60 radiation treatments, 2 a day, Mon - Fri, for six weeks, and was having the nastier effects of what radiation can do to the body make itself known and realizing that his was not going to be good or by any means easy to work through. My tongue was swollen so badly it stuck out of my mouth a good three inches and I was eating (lol) through a "Stoma" feeding tube surgically placed at the top of the stomach.

Throughout this time I had a bass and a Tascam Bass Trainer with me and noodled daily but not too much in earnest.
    That evening I decided that No Matter What Happened Please Lord let me continue to be able to play bass.

And that in a nutshell is pretty much what got me through the entire ordeal and still does to this day.

The latest chapter has certainly put a crimp/damper/monkey wrench into the planned direction I was taking my playing. :rolleyes: Gee ding, ding, ding when does anything go as planned eh?

So last night I reaffirmed the desire to play bass and decided I am going to get a fretless bass and learn to fall in love with playing bass all over again.

Thanks again to all for the encouragement. Wisconsin Bassists Rock!

13. Thanks Mr. Bear. I'm glad that this group means so much to a few good people out there.

14. SemiDriven

Sep 2, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    You rock dude!

Praying that:
    1. You would enjoy the fretless experience!
    2. You and God can connect more and more.

FWIW...Pain has a way of either drawing us closer to our Creator. A guy by the name of C.S. Lewis wrote a book years ago entitled "The Problem of Pain" that contained the following statement that really resonated with me:

"...pain insists upon being attended to. God whispers to us in our pleasures, speaks in our conscience, but shouts in our pains; it is his megaphone to rouse a deaf world."

Keep us posted on your fretless progress!

15. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Shall do.

First thing was to decide on what to get.
    I would love to just order a LeFay Pangton headless but I have some hefty medical bills to work on first.

Will most likely try an Ibanez Gary Willis fiver.

There may be some gear deals offered to Wisconsin bassists only to fund this endeavor. I'll keep you posted on the blow out items that I won't be using anymore.

16. That's very kind of you. Good luck with your new fretless endeavor!

17. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    Ok people put out some posible dates for a gtg I could hold it in Manitowoc. Sound of 1 2 sound off 1 2 3 4!

18. MrBEAR

MrBEAR In Memoriam

Seeing as how my datebook is clear, completely blank, please just name what works for any of you.

Location works for me as well so I am in.

19. Zomb13

Zomb13

Jul 10, 2008
    Oshkosh, WI
    Things are pretty sparse with the band out past November. I could make just about any weekend.

20. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    Let me check with my space a sunday afternoon in November sound ok?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021