Wisconsin Bassists Club (part 2)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Pedulla-Player, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brawdylucas

brawdylucas

Mar 14, 2012
    these are just 2 of the pictures that i got of the view from backstage then actually being up on stage

Attached Files:

2. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    Awesome! How did you land that gig?

3. brawdylucas

brawdylucas

Mar 14, 2012
    from the launchpad competition held throughout wisconsin

4. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    Any thoughts on the fall GTG??

5. It's a good idea :)

I don't have any connections, or ideas on where it should be though.

6. Just a inactivity bump...

I've been pretty busy myself lately and haven't been on TB in a while.

I hope that everyone is doing well and enjoying the last bit of summer.

7. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    Still here PP. I drop in when I can, but often just to catch up with everyone and don't always have a ton to say myself! Outside of working with my lawyers over my paternity suit with Snooki.......

Sept. 8th we return to Jellystone in Fremont for our end of summer party. God we make a ton of money doing this gig! Kinda hokey....but DAMN do we ,make a lot of money for this gig!

Sept. 29th we are back rocking Country Corners.....twice the work.....1/3 the pay...but I have a designated driver drive me back to safe harbor for the evening and yes I will be plastered! What Up Patron!

We have a little time off in October while I spend a couple weeks manning the mix console for a clients fall play...pays better than Country Corners too....

In November we kick it into high gear as our new lead singer Katie Beth gets into the act a little more solidly. We are taking her out with us in September, but we'll not have worked her into the show as much yet. She is a firecracker and quite the rocker for a country girl. Looking forward to singing with her more! Being a rock guy in a cowboy hat so to speak, it's fun to get to sing with another great rocker voice again. With my Uncle Whiskey Breath project I'm really the only real "singer" in the band that can do both front and backing work, so it's cool to be ale to work with another good rock voice even though hers comes with a twang.

Till next time...

8. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    Hillbilly Rockstar?:confused:

9. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    Kinda the situation.

I began playing in the early 70's playing the legendary folk/singer-songwriter scene in Champaign-Urbana Il along with Dan Fogelberg (a mentor some 8 years older at the time). I gravitated into the country rock scene a couple years later as the Eagles, Dan, Ronstadt and the like were hitting big. That's when my musical leanings went plum crazy, Kiss, ELP, Yes, Frampton, UFO, Scorps, Priest, segueing into Billy Idol, The Tubes, Rundgren, Trick, Off Broadway...and of course my hometown heroes and close friends from REO, Starcastle, Head East, Elvis Bros, Champaign, Adrian Belew, Last Gentlemen, Slink Rand, Coal Kitchen, Nix 86, and many many more major label acts. On a given day I could bump into Tony Levin at CV Lloydes music store and then into Mike Love from the Beach Boys at a club at night. Walk into the local head shop and talk bongs with Joe Walsh (his wife was from CU as was his long time personal asst) or score some more gold bud from Fogelberg (hey the guy had to make a living...). Not to mention the common thread was Irvin Azoff, manager for REO, Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, Fogelberg, Walsh, and many others before ascending to the head of MCA entertainment. Irving booked my first club date in 73 at a crap bar for $1,200 with my high school rock band.

Confused? Do ya blame me? I grew up in a big ten college town where it was a total and complete embarrassment to be in a cover band, then I move to Wisconsin where there is no chance of making a good gig wage if you play even one original song. Obviously I adapted.

I went back to playing country in the mid to late 90's as I just didn't get the teen angst of the Seattle scene that was dominating the radio and I no longer felt like the rockers truly understood "ain't nothing but a good time". I went back to playing harder rock As the century turned over with my old fox valley buddy from my early 90's stint fronting Kidd Kaos based out of Fondle Sac. Uncle Whiskey Breath has been an unexplainable juggernaut that our fans just won't let die. And we also enjoy our occasional get togethers and reunion shows. Massively tight band.....devastatingly tight. We don't rehearse for years on end, walk in do a show, listen back to the recordings and wonder how the hell we do this over and over and just nail it start to finish. Plus it gives my ego the chance to swing by my heels and just grab a mic and go as the front man. I've never really been one of the support type bassist. The bass was always a vehicle to play with better players in better situations and using my vocal talent as leverage. Don't get me wrong, I'm a very good bassist, but I don't think quite like most of the traditional bassist out there. I spend more time trying to figure out how to cut a hole in the pocket than I do thinking about being in the pocket....I get musically claustrophobic I guess.

So anyhow, sounded like Country Storm was heading south earlier this summer, as we always do this time of year, the UWB guys said hey....I said hey-ho-let's-go and off plans went for more than a few shows. Then we hook up with KatieBeth and at the me time Mikey our guitarist gets a job to move back from Michigan, and Country Storm is back on the air. To make the rock and roll ride complete, the club UWB was rehearsing in closed, had to move out, then found out the UWB 20' truck had been stolen (empty thank god) and UWB is back to being grounded again until we locate new rehearsal digs. Being that UWB and the Rush tribute show Vital Signs share the same lead guitarist, I assume we'll come up with something soon!

So Hillbilly Rockstar? Probably fits my friend!

10. fishstix

fishstix

Feb 28, 2006
    Wisconsin
    Finally got my hands on a couple shots from Summerfest (I can't believe how difficult it's been to get our signer to take a moment to post them to our website, it's still not done). Unfortunatley, I only have a couple of the mass that were taken and they are only of me but here they are.

It was a blast :bassist:
    2012-08-29.jpg
    2012-08-29.jpg
    2012-08-29.jpg

11. Nice! Another Warwick fan! We should jam sometime.

12. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    Have y'all been kidnpped by gui**** gods?:confused:

13. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I haven't picked up my own bass in two weeks! I did listen to all of our "in progress" tracks last night though. Maybe we'll work on 'em some more this weekend.

14. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    Played last night, first show with Katie our newest 5th. While she is a helluva country singer, she is also quite a rocker and that gives me something more familiar to grab onto from time to time. And with the 5th back in the mix, the pay check dwindled, but hey $175 clean and clear for a 2 hour show wasn't a bad Saturday night. Great paid rehearsal for the fall.

On Sat. this upcoming Sept. 22nd, we return unexpectedly to play the Ride for Cancer bene held out at Olympia Resort in Oconomowoc from 11am-2pm with many long giveaway breaks mixed in, so not a hard day's work at all. We usually like to do this one every other year since we do donate our time.

So...funny story. The fiddle player we canned last year, who truly was a seriously great talent but a major league pain in the ass, called our band leader. Had to go, no patience with people who show up late, leave right away and generally was a dark cloud of nothing was ever good enough kinda whiny type. So she tells Mikey (fearless band leader and driver of the Winnebago), she knows of a gig out there she could get us some money for if we'd cut her into the show. It was a bene out at Olympia on the 22nd. Apparently she was part time fill in for the band that was playing there that had broken up and canceled. Mikey had already booked the show by the time she had called, so he played possum and told her to find out how much she could get and get back to us so we can see if we wanted to do the gig. Haven't heard back yet, I'll keep you posted on that.

On the 29th of September, we kick off the fall season with our return to Country Corners in beautiful suburban McFarland. We're stoked to get back in and have some fun with our designated drivers. They seem to like us better when we're really trashed. That works since I like them better when I'm trashed too.

A kind of freaky thing happened at the gig yesterday. I get to the gig and Katie and Mikey were already there and they had unloaded the truck and set the PA up. Yeah...you heard me,,,the chick singer was setting up the PA and hefting JBL powered 3-ways and subs out of the truck, finding the line cables and running them to the mixer. This is where it really gets twisted. We get done. She unplugs the mic cables and the cables to the JBL's and rolled them up. I gotta tell ya guys, the last chick singer I had worked with who did that sort of thing....I married. This gal has won our hearts with being a team player very rare. I know many of you know what I "be talkin' bout Willis"! But it sure helps me, she is bringing in quite a few rock tunes with her country songs that will make it fun to play old rock standards, a more familiar animal to me.

Anyway hope you all find a nice warm place to pull out your stringed baby or babies, and groove away Gents!

[​IMG][/IMG]

15. theduke1

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I too!
    The first, last, and only girl I worked with was a great looking, great singing keyboardist, who lifted, toted, setup, tear down one of a kind, who was my girfriend, who is now my best friend, lover, partner, the only one I've known who "GETS IT' being married to a musician.
    I am what I am because of my wife Ellie!
    thanks babe

16. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    Word up! Trust me Duke they are rare..........very.......very......very....rare!

17. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    We just finished a 3 wedding receptions in 4 weeks stint from Sturgeon Bay to Stevens Point to Madison. Man, the old bones could feel those. We're usually a once/month proposition these days, so that was a bit taxing. The cops actually had to come shut us down in Sturgeon Bay playing under a huge tent at the Leathem Resort. The Stevens Point wedding dance was Polish all the way...but fun! Going to enjoy these 3 weekends off. Time to get the camper out of storage!

18. mc_muench

mc_muench

Sep 28, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    So I picked up an old Acoustic 833 power amp today for $80 and am now biamping my setup. I'm still waiting on the preamp that will push the 833, its a Correct Sounds Eclipse, based off a Sunn Concert Lead preamp. The B2R with the bottom Sunn 2x15 = clean, and the 833 and the Eclipse with the top Sunn 2x15 = dirty.

IMG_0508.jpg

Also took a picture of our practice space...we call it Red October
    IMG_0509.jpg

19. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
  20. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Got to chime in when it comes to having a supporting wife.

My wife is our band's chief of logistics, herds us to where we need to be when we need to be there, runs interference with the venue and will get us to sound right in sound check if we are using our PA or are working with a sound company.

She is kind and firm at the same time. If we were to design a producer type, we wouldn't have spec'd one as good.

We (and especially me) are very lucky and grateful.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 24, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.