Wisconsin Bassists Club (part 2)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Pedulla-Player, Oct 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Headed out to a pool tourney today in waukesha!

And I have an audition next week!

Happy times!

2. Good luck with both ventures!!!

3. Too bad about the 3rd. Gonna miss my big Wausau debut. Lol

Ya , Fuddfest is kinda between Antigo and Merrill. I believe it's considered Deerbrook. I've played a few times at the bar that the people who run Fuddfest own which is just down the road from the Fuddfest grounds. It's called Helds Bar (Cty Rd. C).
    Actually the closest to Wausau that I've played so far is the town of Gleason. Played there several times - fun town and good people. We played there at the end of this last summer for their fall Thunder mini tractor / supped-up lawn mower pull event. If you've never been to that event - I highly recommend it. They put on the best fireworks display (Hands down!!) that I've ever seen!

4. PubliclyViewable

PubliclyViewable

Jul 2, 2000
    If anyone is available, there's a killer originals show tonight in Oshkosh @ the Reptile Palace with Dead Pony Revival (members of 5Man), Dead Modern Villains (GB), my band Magnus Pym (FdL) and Dirty Rotten So n So's (Oshkosh). 930p, no cover!

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I played in Gleason at the mini-tractor pull two years ago! It was a hoot. I wasn't sure if the crowd would like us because it was all country music all day...but they definitely wanted to rock out at night. And yeah, great fireworks.

Did you play on a trailer? We got there and they had to move the trailer because it wasn't useful for much more than a drum riser.

6. Trailer = Yup!! Lol. I'm not sure if it was the same one , but we all crammed up to fit on it. All but our mains of course , which were on the ground.

7. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    I played my last gig with Mister Jitters last night. A great gig, but I''m glad to be out of the bar band thing.
    I have found that after 45 years of playing bass, music is very important to me being in a working band ahh not so much.
    I'm going back to praise team at my church and a fellow team member just purchased a small deli, and would like to do some Friday night jammin for his customers. I'll keep my chops up doing worship, musicials and the like, hopefully no more 4:00am stuff!
    what's up with you?
    Wisconsin GTG anyone?

8. kreider204

kreider204

Nov 29, 2008
    I can relate. I did the rock band thing when I was younger, but no interest now. Like you, I'm playing with some community ensembles, and finding that very rewarding.

UW Fox Valley Concert Band performance Friday evening, and UW Fox Valley E.A.T.S. benefit "starring" the jazz ensemble Saturday evening - I'll be playing upright in both.

9. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I haven't had a public gig in 12 years or more. Spent the last year just jamming and recording. I'd like to get back out there--soon, hopefully--but you're right, the music is the important thing.

10. Interceptor

Interceptor

Mar 29, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Still gigging after 40 years, but totally done done done doing bar gigs.

I'm having a ball backing up acoustic musicians and a young diva. Playing stuff like Adele and some hot Nashville done acoustic. Most of our gigs have been private / corporate kinds of things. We want to branch out into public gigs, now the hard work of marketing gets ramped up. The jazz act I was working with folded this spring. I'm OK with it, it lets me concentrate on one less genre.

I've been very busy singing in a church choir. Keeps the reading skills sharp!

By the looks of things, I'll be up in Wausau a time or two before the construction season wraps up.

Jim

11. I finished well in the pool tourney. First one on 5 years! Felt good to get back out. There were around 30 players and I was tenth in the finish. :)

Having second thoughts about the audition. I'll go to it, but time and availability are not on my side for a long term project.

:)

12. ctrotier

ctrotier

Feb 20, 2008
    Pewaukee, WI
    We played an acoustic gig last weekend with the remnants of my band as part of a benefit at the old Vnuks (now the Blue Pig?). Wound up meeting and hooking up with a new drummer, and potentially a new guitar player from another band that played, and who are going into shut-down mode. Later that night met with a member of yet another band with a large line-up change in the works, and he joined up. So now we have a drummer and a multi-instrumentalist in the fold without holding any auditions. He's a wicked mandolin/guitar/banjo player.

Now comes the fun part! Booking, rehearsing and writing.

Much thanks for all of the help getting the word out!

13. Keithwah

Keithwah

Jan 7, 2011
    Milwaukee WI
    Sweeeet! The Fickle Finger Of Fate award goes to The Carvers! Funny how stuff plays out like that.

Guys being in the right place at the right time and opening your mouths intelligently is the key! Well, at least since the coke fueled 80's ended, but I digress. I have been blessed with a billion "small world" hook ups in my career. Maybe it's Kharma? Maybe it's from living the gospel of Bill and Ted, and I guess it could be dumb luck. When I was 13 I started playing open mic at the folk legend venue The Red Herring in Champaign IL, my home town. The hippies loved this kid with more balls than talent that would hop up there with his Guild D40 and bang out John Prine's Illegal Smile, or ELP's Lucky Man complete with Kazoo driven Moog solo. They put me on the bill for the annual fall folk Fest. I did my bit early on, and the two headliners got such a kick out of me, they asked me to join them in the finale doing The Band's The Weight and Will the Circle be Unbroken. So there I am sitting in between Steve "City of New Orleans & You Never Call Me By My Name" Goodman and Dan Fogelberg singing my ass off. Steve and I remained friends till his death, mostly because we were pals and also because my dad was a pharmacist and I knew where his gallon bucket stash of ludes were. Dan whom i also miss greatly, and I also saw each other at shows around the country many times over the years. Dan later that week had introduced me to his manager, Irving Azoff who also managed REO, and later Fleetwood Mac, The Eagles, ya know some bar bands. So Irv booked my first rock band gig a couple years later and days before he pulled stakes and took Dan and REO to sunny So Cal for stardom.

Point is, you got to get out there and see and be seen if you want an opportunity. I'm glad Chris found people gigging. It's a much better way to find people that can already see who and what you are. They already dig you because they are there and watching you. Demo equals sale.

My wife is very happy to hear this! Thank you Bro!

Keith

14. I'm going to see Pinback at the High Noon Saloon in Madison on November 18th. Just wondering if any club members will be going to the show?
    I believe Pinback and their bassist Zach Smith to be one of the most under-rated bands and bassists out there. :bassist: Just my opinion of course. ;)

Here's a video from their last album. Their new album is pretty flipping awesome and I am definitely looking forward to seeing them live for the 1st time.

15. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Anyone looking to trade up some gear PM me, I'm in Milwaukee. Hope this is ok for me to inquire.

16. theduke1

theduke1 Supporting Member

Dec 22, 2010
    Sussex WI
    If we ever have a GTG I'm in:confused::crying:

17. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Me too. I had to bail on the last one that happened. Still makes me mad.

18. tedesco23

tedesco23

May 12, 2010
    Evansville, WI
    Loved the last one. I'd do it too. Think it really takes someone to step up and do the organizing.

19. Unfortunately , my back surgery really hit me hard in the pocketbook and I can't afford to travel to Madison or Milwaukee for a GTG. Unless there is one in the Northwoods (ya , right...lol) I'm afraid that I'm a no go. Unless it's in Madison during the day of the Pinback show (Nov. 18th).

I wish you guys the best on hopefully getting one set up soon. Seems like a stick-in-the-mud at the moment thou.

20. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Maybe we'll just have to skype you in, bro.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.