1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wisconsin Youth Symphony Audition

Discussion in 'Orchestral Auditions [DB]' started by Eli_Upright12, Aug 26, 2007.

1. I just want to throw it out there that I have my WYSO audition tomorrow. I'm playing the Eccles Largo exerpts from The Barber of Seville and Saint Saens third symphony plus scales.

2. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    Good luck! I played trumpet in that group when it was called MYSO many moons ago. Great organization!

3. Thanks alot I'm feeling a little bit shakey about this whole thing but I'm confident that I can at least put up a good showing. Was MYSO the Michigan Youth Symphony by any chance? whats really nice about these Youth Orchestras is that a lot of them work with the Senior and University versions of them so when your a high school player you get a chance to play with real quality players, conductors and guest soloists.

4. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    MYSO was the Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra, and I believe the name changed around 10 years ago.

I have no idea who is currently conducting, but it was a great experience (even as a brass player at the time :p) . How did the audition go?

5. Well it went so-so I played my solo decent. my scales really well, the excerpts were ok, and the site reading went well, I ended up in the second-tier orchestra which wasn't really what I was looking for, but it seems like the top one might have already been full.

6. mrokern

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    One thing that I distinctly remember is that getting into the top orchestra your first time around is extremely difficult and competitive. Most of the players in that orchestra had done their time in the second group for at least a year.

Typical of the music industry...a lot of your success depends on putting your time in, and on WHO you know.

7. Yeah I auditioned last year and had the same result but since I was spending a semester abroud I wasn't able to participate, I really think that its really a bad thing that orchestras are done that way, because it makes it so hard for a new face to break into the little closed circle of people have done the stereotypic whip you child into music shape starting at age 5 in the lowest orchestra and going from there.

8. bassplayer57

bassplayer57

Aug 15, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Wow! They were able to decide fast!
    It took 4-6 weeks to hear if I made it into our Toledo Youth Orchestra! I Made it. :hyper:

9. Well truthfully it was more of a Re-Audition, in April I had an auditioin by CD(of course theres no real way to get into a decent orchestra with that) and they put me in the 2nd lowest orchestra which is a Middle school orchestra more or less and so I sent them email from mexico basically saying "come on this is ridiculous" and they gave me a reaudition, this probably negatively effected me this go round, but I mean it was at least worth a shot.