1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wisdom of a 5 year old.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor [DB]' started by bejoyous, Sep 28, 2008.

1. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    I had a rehearsal with my church string ensemble for an upcoming service yesterday. I brought my 5 year old with me. She mostly played with her dolls and toys in the adjacent room. Occasionally, she'd sit in the chair beside me.

During one of the times she was sitting beside me, the director of the ensemble was talking and I played a few notes to make sure my strings were in tune. She holds a finger up to her lips and says, "Shush Daddy, you're only supposed to play when the cellos play!"

2. johnny rg

johnny rg

Nov 24, 2008
    Dublin, Ireland
    ouch

3. Being shushed by a 5-yr-old is most humbling when it is entirely appropriate. IME. :rolleyes:

4. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    thats pretty cute

5. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Pretty cool that she is so musically knowledgable and she feels safe enough to talk to you like that.

My 4 1/2 year old girl provides much balance, perspective, and wisdom. Thanks for sharing this.

6. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Great story. I've gotten more smackdowns of that kind from my son (now 6) than I can count. :)

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

She wouldn't like the last movement of Beethoven's 9th, then! :p

8. Eric Swanson

Eric Swanson

Oct 8, 2007
    Boston, MA
    When my daughter was an infant she used to bawl inconsolably when I would play arco.

I used to like to think that it was the volume that bothered her, or perhaps that it was that I was doing something other than paying attention to her.

On the other hand, maybe she was trying to tell me something much more fundamental about my playing...:)

Anyway, really sweet that you have integrated your daughter into your musical life...thanks again for sharing it.