Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wisdom of the masses - which amp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warlock, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Guys - I understand that this is an eternal question but your help is grealty appreciated. I'm an almost 42 year old returning bassist. I only play live when I have the odd opportunity and play mostly either jamming or on my own (looping and just messing) in my office. :bassist:

Currently I only keep a Peavy practice bass amp and nowt else and I'm more than aware that the amp can't really cope and is pants on open e-strings. Some other background - I want something that I can use at home and when out playing with others. It must be compact. I currently play a Warwick Buzzard and a Westone Thunder Fretless and play whatever style makes me happy at that time. Having said that I don't have the groove Jazz hard wired in my brain :crying:

In the past I've owned Carlsborough, bigger Peavys and Mashall (stack).

Budget wise - I have a wife to keep happy and woulnd't like to spend more than £800 or so.

Starting a great debate (I hope) and probably covering old ground (sorry) - what would you recommend.
    :help:

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    £800 is a reasonable amount to have to splash around. Unless some of your playing out is in loud venues with limited PA support, I'd take a close look at the GK Microbass combos. You won't get much more compact but they can keep up surprisingly well with quieter groups.

Wulf

3. Dave Owen,

We Tb'ers understand your question. We have all been there.

Could you please use the "Search" function? You will get heaps of information relevant to your question.

Cheers

Pete

4. Yes I did and didn't have the hours to search to god know's how many pages - few being relevant! :eyebrow:

5. Thanks Wulf - and thanks for the link to the site - they look good.

6. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    It might be a bit out of your price range, but a Mesa Walkabout Scout combo would fit your needs very well IMO.

7. I agree, the Mesa Walkabout Scout is a great way to go. I think they're only $1100 US, so that should hopefully still fall within your price range.

8. alibloke

alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    Hi Dave,

Have just had a quick scout around on the net. I've managed to find the Mesa Walkabout Scout 112 combo at Sound Control for £1199, but it might be a tad out of your price range (about US $2,240 I think.....!!). However I've always found SC to be a bit expensive! If you hunt around you might be able to find it for slightly cheaper....

http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1...2.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.2.3.1-65-26-113

Another slightly more affordable alternative is the Ashdown ABM 210 300 watt combo which I found here for around £789: -

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-ABM-C210T-300-EVO-II-Combo~ID~3086.asp

It is still relatively compact, but should hopefully still produce the goods when asked! Also, could you let us have more of an idea as to just how compact you want to get? I've heard some good things about the GKs.

9. This is excellent stuff and thanks all. Reading about the Walkabout does make my mouth water. The great shame is that we pay £1 to the $1 on imports (duty etc does this so I'm told).

Ideally it would be great for an amp to fit under a standard office desk - out of the way when not playing.