Wisdom teeth?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, Jul 26, 2004.

1. Hey, can you guys give me the low-down on getting wisdom teeth removed? I have an appointment with an oral surgeon a week from friday. :help:
  2. Sometimes they come out easy, sometimes they don't.

Three of mine came out fairly easy, one was a pain (literally). Make sure you keep the sockets clean afterwards. Good luck!
  3. I had one that inverted (grew in such a way that the top was poking out forwards) and had to have my jaw practically unhinged to get it out. It was causing some problems...had to have my jaw wired shut for some time...had to cut away alot of gum material.

Since then the same tooth on the other side has done the same thing...but I'm having no maladies, so I'm leaving it. Never again. Knock on wood.

Yes, have it removed, and keep the gauze in there and packed until the scab sets in. You DON'T want a dry socket. And refain from any urges to create a "sucking" or vaccuum in the mouth for a few days, or it'll pop the scab out and voila! Lots of pain.

Creepy factoid: the bone material around the base of your teeth is very malleable, and after they yank the tooth, the dentist caves the surrounding soft bone into the empty cavity.

4. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I was born without wisdom teeth. :D

Eddie Veder (sp?) voice on: It's evolution baby!!!!!!! :hyper:
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's not too bad, the first couple days after the surgery are a pain in the ass because not only can you pretty much not eat anything but you're swollen and hopped up on painkillers.

But, after that initial crap, you start surviving on Soup, yogurt, protein shakes, and liquified cabbage, which is kind of challenging at first, but there are many amazingly simple and tasty soup options in this day, I recommend the Trader Joe's Organic Tomato soup.

So, that's cool, you live with that for a few more days, still taking painkillers, but it shouldn't be hurting much by now anyway.

Then after about a week and a half you go to see your oral surgeon again and they give you a look, you should be ready to eat more solid foods by now, but you have to be extra careful to not let any food bits fall into the big gaping holes in your mouth, if they get stuck there, your skin might heal over the food and then get infected. So you should get this little plastic syringe that fills with water and is curved so you can reach the holes easily enough. You use it after you eat.

So you do this for about a week or 2, and then you're pretty much all done.
  6. Don't let them take them out!!!

Then were will you put all your wisedom? NOWHERE! You will become stupid!

*This post brought to you by some guy who had his wisedome teeth taken out-That should explain why it is a stupid post :D
  7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

i dont understand why we have to get them out. isn't it just more natural to keep them in? before there were dentists, people didnt get their wisdom teeth taken out and they seemed to live.
  8. And they were alot smarter too. :D
  9. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I had all four removed. Two were ulcerated (infected) and two were impacted (grown into the jaw). I remember coming around with a terrible ringing in my head - that was because the doctor was using a large metal chisel to break up the impacted teeth into smaller, easier to remove chunks. Ask for gas, pills, shots, and whiskey. Thank God they don't grow back!
  10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Not everyone has 'perfect' teeth, most kids need braces at some point in their life to allign their teeth, we don't think much of it, but that's rather unnatural too.

Some people don't need any dental work, they are fortunate, but most people do. Oh well, teeth are fickle.

As for wisdom teeth, The primary reason they are taken out is because since they don't grow until long after all your adult teeth have come in, they often times grow into a mouth that doesn't want them. Causing your other teeth to impact and it would be a far bigger pain in the ass than getting removed.

My wisdom teeth were especially lame, The Lower teeth(as with all my lower teeth) were perfect, but the uppers were coming in at an angle, but they have to remove all 4, because otherwise the lowers don't have anything to work against and they just keep growing.

Teeth are weird.
  11. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Yes, to the ripe old age of 35.

I had two impacted wisdom teeth and two that hadn't come up yet. I had all four of them removed at one time, I was knocked out and they did surgery. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, no problems and I came out feeling a little woozy but otherwise fine. The biggest pain was, as mentioned, there is a lot of bleeding the first day or so, and its kind of sore. After the first day or so, you can take the gauze out and be fine...it'll still be a little tender and sore, but don't mess with the holes and it'll heal before you know it.

Keep your teeth clean to avoid infection: In the days before the operation, brush, floss and use mouthwash every day.

The salt-water gargle stuff they tell you to use (or they told me to use at least) tastes nasty, but really helps keep the wounds clean, and once you rinse out the taste you'll feel much better.

Make yourself (or have someone else make you) milkshakes to cheer yourself up. Also, stock up on some soft foods that you like...yogurt, mashed potatoes, applesauce...etc.

Good luck!
  12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I believe that before dentistry, it was pretty much a sure thing that you'd be missing several teeth by the time your Wisdom Teeth came in, so there would be room for them. Modern dentistry allows you to keep all of your teeth, thus there is no room for these extra teeth to come in.

When I had mine taken out, I really didn't think it was nearly as bad as all the hype had me believing it would be. I was zonked for the whole thing - first they gave me some Nitrous Oxide to help me relax, then while I was breathing the NO_2 the gave me an IV with the local, which I believe was sodium pentothal (but I could be wrong) ...and the next thing I knew I was extremely happy and really taken with how cool the wall paper pattern was in the oral surgeons office, and the next thing I know, I'm waking up.
    I heard the nurse talking to my mother saying "we've got some help coming, we'll lift him into a wheel chair and take him to recovery, it'll be about an hour before he wakes up and he'll need about another hour or so before you can take him home..."
    upon hearing this conversation, I opened my eyes and sat up and said "don't worry, I'm fine - I can do it myself..." and I stood up and took a step or to the wheel chair and sat down in it.
    The nurse started carrying on about how she'd never seen somebody come out of heavy anesthetic so quickly or so clearly - I guess nobody had ever woke up before making to the recovery area before that she'd seen. I was telling her that I was fine and wanted to go home, so they just let me hang where I was for about 15 minutes and then they let my mom take me home. They offered a wheelchair ride to the car, but I walked.
    I had a prescription for a heavy painkiller - Vicaden I think. I know the dosage was 1 or 2 pills every 4 to 6 hour as needed. We got the prescription filled on the way home, so I took 1 pill when I got home and figured I'd take another when it started to hurt. I never did take another pill.

The constant taste of blood gets annoying after a couple of days and it takes a really long time for the sockets to be totally gone - keep em rinsed and don't suck out the blood clots. The rest of it isn't nearly as bead as people make it sound.
  13. tappel

May 31, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    At this point, you've heard it all. It could be a piece of cake, or not... depends on if they're impacted or not, and how badly they're impacted. My kid brother had all 4 taken out at once. He was swollen and sore, but nothing dreadful. A friend had all done and he had no problems whatsoever.

Me, on the other hand... I was told by my dentist, at the age of 19, to schedule an appointment "at my convenience" to have them taken out as they were not coming in properly. I let it go... for 10 years!. The surgeon needed to bust them into pieces to get them out, they were that jammed into my jaw. It was a pretty bad experience. I also thought there was some nerve damage done; my tongue had a tingling sensation that lasted nearly a year.

Hey, you asked. :D
  14. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    It's strange because it seems to affect different people differently. I've known some people who are back to work an hour after they get 'em pulled and I've known people who are out for a week because the pain is just too much.
  15. You people are forgetting that they are WISEDOM teeth. Ask them to remove other ones so you can keep the important one!

*Save your smartnessitude wil yuu sttlllll knan.

*I had mine taken out. I am stupid now.
    (retarded smiley) :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  16. 16 years of life. One cavity, filling required. One chip, fixed. Wisdom teeth: plenty of room to come in, which they did. Go me :)
  17. Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Wow, so far I've had pretty good luck with wisdom teeth (knock on wood). I had my two left ones removed last winter, very minor swelling, scab was small, I removed the stitches myself a few days after the operation. Heck, I ate a pizza 2 hours after they were removed, and went skiing (aggressively) the next day. Part of the reason it went smoothly is my teeth were out of the sinus cavities.

Now, next week I'm going to get both right teeth pulled. They're coming through the skin, so I'm just gonna go under local aenesthetic and have him pry 'em out....I thought the needles being pushed into my gums last time was more uncomfortable than the actual pulling. Pray for me, this could be rough this time (new dentist).
  18. When I had my wizzies out, I went under general anesthesia. When I woke up, I was in one of those extremely happy moods, like my whole body was smiling. Oh, and hydrocodone (the strong ingredient in the painkillers they will likely provide) is absolute heaven.
  19. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    No, I'm not helping. You said "low-down".
  20. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX

Had 100 of them for my big chest surgery. Sold 20 of them and made $66. Went for a check-up last Wednesday and got 50 more.

Like I said... :D .