Wise words for a beginner???

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by thegilkey, Dec 16, 2003.

1. thegilkey

Dec 16, 2003
    hattiesburg, Ms
    I am a two year electric bass player who is very interested in purchasing a double bass. I don't know a thing about them though. If anyone has any suggestions as to readings, videos or any kind of media to educate me in double bass playing, purchasing, whatever... please post or send me some mail:

help will be much appreciated!!! thanks
  2. Welcome to the Dark Side of Talkbass.

Consult the newbies forum. There is a WEALTH of information there. Also, if you can locate a teacher in your area and can earn, beg, borrow, or steal the money take some lessons. The UB is not just a big bass guitar.

You might fill out your profile as well. There are lots of knowledgable folk here (I am definitely not one) who can offer some good advice if you give them a little to go on.
  3. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Steve covered all the basics for you. Finding a instructor in your area would be a wise choice, look for them at the local symphony/jazz programs at your university.

As for purchasing a double bass. I would start of by going to a local music store and renting one for 2-4 months.

Alot of upright bassplayers that are new need to keep calm and relaxed and not try to kill the bass. Finding a good teacher will be very benefical :)
  4. renting a sass is a very good idea. Find out what makes a bass bad (i.e. a rental bass) before you drop the dough to get something to really play. And get a good teacher; otherwise you'll just end up developing bad habits and possibly hurting yourself.
  5. thegilkey, glad to see you're using the correct term for our instrument! It's ok to just call it a bass too.
    I'm assuming you know why we call it the double bass? You really do need to visit ALL the newbie links and forums and learn most of what this site has to offer. It's really incredible!
    As Steve mentioned, do fill out your profile and be sure to mention your location in your posts. That way, someone might be able to suggest a teacher in that area. Do try the rental deal before you try to buy. Check under set-ups to get an idea what to look for concerning the set-up on your rental bass. If you end up with a bass that is poorly set up, you're gonna want to not bother with the whole idea!
    Best of luck, and keep in touch!
  6. Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    Great info, I want to knock this one back to the top. I too am so intrigued by this instrument. What more can you experienced players add here?

As a bass guitarist, what do I ask when walking into a shop? What are the practical differences between playing EBG and URB? Its the same clef, 4 strings, I ii iii IV V vi vii, etc... I mean when you play an Am triad on an URB its still 1-3b-5, Right?
    My questions lie in basic quality, playability, technique, etc..

My questions are genuine, forgive my ignorance and if you talk to me like I'm 4, I (and perhaps others)will have a better chance of gleaning as much info as I(we?)can!

Thanks in advance for being patient!
  7. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Actually, this math doesn't work on the URB. Due to the lack of frets we have microtones available to us and thusly we measure using decimals instead of whole steps. This is compounded by the more extreme curvature of the board which necessitates multiplying each microtone/decimal point by 3.14[how come keyboards don't have a key for pie?] This may sound complicated but fortunately there are conversion algorithms already compiled for people who want to switch from BG to URB-you can find them buried somewhere in the newbie section.

8. Isn't that music made by a former vice president? I thought it was a firm unwritten rule that we never talked politics here.
  9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    After a few minutes of practice last night, I did eat a piece of lemon icebox pie. Does that count for anything?
  10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Anytime anyone is brave enough to associate Al Gore with rhythm, there is bound to be a laugh.
  11. As always, we welcome beginners with open arms...However as Sam says, although he's too polite to come right out and say it, so I will. You guys need to take advantage of the Newbie Links! Also, the search function. All this stuff is in there.
    Also, on some other threads, there are guys asking real simple questions like " What do I say when I walk in the door of a shop looking for a DB?" These same guys don't fill in their profiles, so we have no idea what area in the country you're talking about.
    Depending on you area, you can call the local Musicians Assoc. and ask for some phone numbers of double bassists living in your area and find a teacher or at least get some of these more redundant, simple questions answered.
    Thanks, and again, welcome!