Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

wish interview!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by steve-o, Aug 5, 2003.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    http://www.bassinside.com/2003/august/wish.htm

this tells the whole story..

i like the quotes like "Steve: I avoid 'luthier supply' places like the plague, and deal with furniture supply places as much as possible. It is a difference of philosophy. Perfection is very expensive... 85% of perfection is easy. Most of the price on an instrument is finish and perfection."

and
    I buy wholesale, but not in large quantities. Good lucky with that. To me it's like the difference between Henry Ford and Ettore Bugatti... Ford is still in business. Bugatti made the greatest cars ever, and lost money on every one. In America, the guy was Duesenberg. Top-end hand work, labour of love, and working at a loss.

I make an instrument every day or so. Usually I ship five a week. I try to keep 30 or so going at any one time and do batches of ten or so in every stage of production. I use abrasives as much as possible, and work ten+ hours a day seven days a week.

one bass a day!!!! thats insane!!!! now you know why the workman ship is less than perfect..that bass was made in one day

steve
    '

2. Nick Wagner

Nick Wagner

Feb 24, 2003
    WA, USA
    Hahaha... such professionalism.

3. Well, at least he admits that his workmanship is less than perfect. And it was a pretty entertaining interview to say the least. I can respect his honesty.

by the way his basses are not my cup of tea but this one looks decent.
    [​IMG]:

4. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I found that interview interesting as well. It seems like the guy has a head on his shoulders, contrary to what I thought before I read the interview.

5. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Doesn't make me want to buy one of his instruments, but the article is definitely interesting. He clearly has thought out his decisions whether you agree with them or not. I've got alot of respect for that.

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Any mention of where he gets the brown acid ???

7. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    It appears as if he actually knows what he is doing... wow...

8. how come half the basses the body coincides witht he neck like it does, doesn't that make the high end a pain in the ass to play?

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

GK - You mean like this bass? -

[​IMG]

Who wraps their fingers around the E or B string side of the neck :confused:

It's not an issue. Every bassist I know curls their finger on the "G" side or just uses the thumb to fret the B or E string up to about the 7th fret and no further.

10. Im a sock

Im a sock

Dec 23, 2002
    Central MA
    I think he uses a much longer scale too, so notes like high G on the 24th fret are probably before where the neck meets the body. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

11. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I dunno, not a very flattering interview from my perspective.

"Most of the price on an instrument is finish and perfection."

And his instruments are, generally, extremely cheap. This is why.

"To me it's like the difference between Henry Ford and Ettore Bugatti... Ford is still in business. Bugatti made the greatest cars ever, and lost money on every one. In America, the guy was Duesenberg. Top-end hand work, labour of love, and working at a loss."

Pretty dumb analogy - he's nowhere near Ford, even the Model T was consistent and reliable. His basses are more like the go-kart the kids down the street put together.

"Simple. I keep as much metal off the bass as possible, especially between the strings and the body. The body only lets the strings vibrate in certain ways. Different densities of material vibrate at different harmonics. By keeping it all simple, keeping the densities similar, I let the strings vibrate with the widest range of harmonics. "

I would really like him to explain exactly how this is true. If it is, maybe he should try wood strings sometime, too.

"If you have a jazz guitar, with a wood adjustable bridge, and change it for a metal adjustable, you will hurt the sound. If you replace the adjustable with a one-piece carved wood one, it will sound better."

Only if you feel that it sounds better.

"I have a bigger neck, which helps finger leverage"

I don't understand this: how does a thicker neck give you more leverage? Does he think that you are supposed to hook your thumb over the neck, as in the photograph?

"What are you aiming to achieve here?

Trying to make a living. "

This says quite a bit.

"I think Europe has been civilized for far too long to get a heart-felt appreciation of the kinds of things isolated people can do, if necessary."

It's the "necessary" part that counts here. ;)

"I make an instrument every day or so. Usually I ship five a week. I try to keep 30 or so going at any one time and do batches of ten or so in every stage of production. "

Lots of care goes into your instrument, I'm sure.

"Many of the more expensive luthiers state they are just covering costs, that the profit margin is pretty close to the expenses.

Steve: Actually they are telling the truth. Most instrument makers lose money."

Later:

"Every dollar I save in production means ten dollars I don't have to charge. "

Sooo. . .apparently he's VERY FAR from losing money on each one, if he's got 90% margins.

12. sting and the bassist of queens of the stone age

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You know, I couldn't see buying a Wish bass for myself, but after reading this, I have some respect for where he's coming from.

And please let's put this in perspective: he's charging $350 or so. Some of the things everybody is bellyaching about would be utterly unacceptable in a $1000 or $3000 bass. Some are perhaps questionable in any bass. But come on--a handmade instrument for $350. He shouldn't be held to anything like the standards you'd apply to somebody like Benavente. He isn't trying to play in that league, and he says so. Judge him for what he is, not what he isn't.

(I still don't want one, though.) ;)

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    not really _bass_ related, so off to misc it goes.

with no other comment. :)

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I can see where you'd get more leverage with a thick neck over a thin one. I don't think you'd have to hook your thumb to experience this.

Honestly, I don't have a clue as to why his basses seem to bug some people as much as they do. He's obviously not trying to portray them as anything more than what they are. Don't like 'em? Fine, don't buy one. The same should be true of all gear choices.

16. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

Then Sting and the bassist of queens of the stone age won't buy this bass, will they?

17. he's saying he puts out a bass a day...

he's not making a bass in 1 day.

and for $350 bucks I would only care about sound... who cares if its not had thousands of hours of sanding... if it sounds great and you only got $400 bucks its a steal...

18. I really don't have a horse in this race...but I'd like to make one comment: At least you know some insight to this luthier's work. You can't really compare it with (insert any name brand)unless you have read an interview from some luthier from that company.

I ain't supporting or dissing Wish basses....just commenting on the interview. Consider the fact that MOST instruments are "manufactured" these days and not hand made. Think Sigma and then think Martin and you'll know what I mean.

19. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    Your statement, "We make the most comfortable bass in the world", in what way do you mean it, weight, balance, neck shape?

wish: "Perhaps an over-statement."
    [​IMG]

tell it to my right arm. He seems interested only in the left.