1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wish me luck ...first real gig in almost 7 years

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by marinecorpsman6, Dec 31, 2011.

1. marinecorpsman6

marinecorpsman6

Apr 12, 2011
    that's right 7 years ...looking forward to it and nervous at the same time ...any suggestions before tonight like things yall do to prepare for it

2. Yeah- just go for it and have fun. I did my first gig in 20 years this past Summer. I hammed it up and acted like a fool- but I got it out of my system.

My first semi-pro gig is in 3 weeks. I'll be a bit more restrained.

At any rate, break a leg and let us know how it went!

3. prd004

prd004

Dec 3, 2010
    I get there plenty early enough so there's no stress in loading and setting up. Also enough time to warm up before hand but I try to avoid getting there so early that I end hang out pre gig for an eternity. Hanging out too long makes me think too much about the show.

Also bring a spare cable, and put in all new batteries in everything that takes one.

4. bigalbass

bigalbass

Dec 12, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Know your parts. Feel like you are going into it with your band as your gang. Dont drink before the show. Try to have fun.

5. Youngspanion

Youngspanion Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2003
    Staten Island, NY
    I guess I'd say to you to remember that the show will end. Even if you feel nervous, remember that it's not going to last very long and it will all be over soon.

Last month on a gig I got brain freeze during "Born Under a Bad Sign" and there were a lot of friends there too that came out to see my band. I had such a hard time finding my place. Finally the song ended. Thank God. Being in a 3 piece, its hard to hide behind guitars.

Just don't worry about nonsense. Have fun and it'll all work out fine. Good Luck.:bassist:

6. Tom_RCJ

Tom_RCJ

Jan 4, 2010
    Cardinal, Ontario, Canada
    Band is sponsored by Trinity Amps and Sennheiser.
    Have as much fun as humanly possible. You'll do great, man. A good time will be had by all.

I'm actually sitting in a pub right now waiting for the rest of my band cause my ride into town was a bit early. Gonna be a great night, even if the kitchen only opens at 9...(it's 5:39):crying:

Happy new year everyone.

7. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I feel ya! Real Soon Now I'll have my first gig in a decade. Looking forward to it. Sage advice from above: don't drink before you start. If you find yourself halfway through your night and things are going splendidly, have one. Just be careful. Catching a good buzz is the dubious luxury of the well-rehearsed. Not what one does if one is even remotely nervous about remembering one's parts!

8. GBBSbassist

GBBSbassist I actually play more guitar... Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2010
    Chicago
    Stretch before and after you play.

9. dsanders

dsanders

Jan 22, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I would not do this. To each their own. Most change batteries too frequently.

Pick up a Batt-O-Meter. You will be shocked how long they last compared to what you thought.

As for the gig, just be prepared beyond the point of nervous.

10. dsanders

dsanders

Jan 22, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I LOVE that bass line. This happens occasionally to us all, the problem with a line like that is the bass makes the tune.

Usually just like Ricky Minor said in his recent Bass Player Live clinic "As bass players if we get lost just do a quick slide up and down then find your place." My paraphrase, but you get the point :).

11. Kitsapbass

Kitsapbass What key is this?

May 26, 2005
    Bremerton, WA
    Have a great time man! I'm playing my first NYE gig in the last 8 years so I'll be joining you (I do have to disclose though, that I've been playing all year, and this is just the first NYE gig that is).

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Know the music (and maybe bring a small cheat sheet if you are unsure), make sure all of your gear works, bring extra cables, strings, etc..... And have fun!

It was 10 years between gigs for me and I was crapping my pants the first gig back.... Turned out to be great when it was all said and done....

13. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    I might have my first gig EVER in a couple of weekends. So I know the feelings!!!

I'm still working on 2 of our tunes so, yeah, just a little nervous!!!

14. chasfur

chasfur

Feb 14, 2009
    Elkhart , Indiana
    I am 42 I have played bass as a hobiest for many years. Sometimes more than others. I've got 2 gigs under my belt now an so proud. All this advice is so sound. My stage presence needs work without a doubt. But let me say this, I'm so happy to be gigging. I'm having the time of my life. My children are older n ones old enough to come to gigs the other is 18 and can come to a few. Stay strong and trust in your ability to cover your low end bless you bro and enjoy..
    Also like to take an op to say thanks to my TB brothers an sisters also you tube. When I was in need of of help it really came thru. Also big shout to johny b gaden a local and national artist who's an ex bass coach who is fenominal.

15. Engine207

Engine207 Losing faith in humanity...one call at a time.

Jul 10, 2008
    Higley, AZ
    Besides good luck at the gig...thanks for your service. Your country appreciates you more than you'll ever know.

16. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Have fun - you get to play music. Not much better than that.
    And to echo what Engine207 said - thank you for your service.

17. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    ^^^ this

Don't lose the groove looking for a note. And play it like you mean it.

18. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    that moment that note is all that matters

know your first three songs upside down back and forth blindfolded....after that, just let the music flow...

you know what to do. just start on the first note first song, with the drummer, and keep going!

enjoy, and good luck!

19. Just go and enjoy.

20. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Ironically, I'm heading out to do my last NYE gig for a while. Taking a break. I drink a lot of Coke before and during the gig these days to stay awake. Have fun is the best advice. I know I'll screw up tonight, especially as we are doing a board recording and a digital HD video. Fortunately, the board recording is individual channels so we can go in and "edit" if needed.

Point is, have fun.