Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wish me luck.... please

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by James Hart, Sep 10, 2002.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    OK... I'll bring everyone to speed as far as me an bass an bands first.

I started playing in 1980, almost made a living at it for a couple years in the NYC/NJ/Philly scenes in the early 90's. I moved 2 hours away from my 'homebase' and continued as a semi-pro (bar bands and studio jingle gigs). I got very feed up with musicians, owners, fans etc and sold off all my gear except a Yamaha 6-string Acoustic guitar in 97 and went on with life.

... a year later I bought a Hamer 5-string and a REAL crappy Yamaha combo from the 70's. Within 6 months the Hamer was in the closet and the Yamaha was out at the curb.

Last summer I volunteered to put a website together for a 20th reunion of my high school and got talking online with my old jammin buddies, dug out the Hamer and cleaned it up... went to the store and bought a little peavy practice amp and a set of DR Hibeams and haven't looked back.

Now the Luck wishing part:
    I'm just about healed from the broken foot/leg and was bored online so I started trolling a couple NJ musician classified sites. I answered 2 ads and one replied wanting more info about me. It turns out it's an origanal power trio in my age group with varied tastes and influences and they rehearse in a Garage studio in my development. They get together twice a week and want me to swing by tomorrow to jam! They are cool with me still being on crutches and said I can play thru the PA untill I pick up a new amp :) :cool: :D

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Bah, you don't need luck... sounds like you've got all the experience you need. And if they piss you off, gimp-slap them with a crutch. :)

3. Best of luck, Sped! Like SD, I don't think you'll need it -- you'll make your own!

4. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Good luck Speddling!

5. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Thanks.... I feel like a tool thou.
    I've got no amp, no bag or case for my bass and my chord is a 6 footer :rolleyes: I feel like a complete newbie. I was better equipt for my first ever jam in the early 80's

I do hope these guys can play... so far the only description I've heard is
    so either I've got it made with line freedom or they suck ;)

6. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Good luck bud. Let us know how it goes!! :)

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    good luck with it, man. if it doesn't work out, though, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater anymore, ok? face it, you're a bass player. you're going to die a bass player. by getting rid of your gear you're just avoiding the inevitable. ;)

seriously, good luck. btw, how's the foot?

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :oops: I know, I know. My purple sparkly bass will never leave my ownership.

Hmmm since you keep gettin those 'Brown note' generator things... and mere mortal bass rigs tremble in their presence.... You got any old rigs to send my way? ;) j/k (btw the white ones nice but the 8 string fretless is still the purdiest to me)

My foot is getting there. I get the screw out tomorrow afternoon and can start trying to walk. Even thou I'm not 'posed to, I've been kind of walking with one crutch in the house. I should be good as new in a couple more weeks. Thanks for askin.

9. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D everybody's got a favorite :D

yikes. i broke the small bone on the side of my foot a while back, and that was such a pan in the butt, i can't imagine how much this whole experience has sucked for you. it was funny, i thought that the toe was just dislocated, so i ended up setting it myself - the small toe was at a 90 degree angle with my foot about an inch closer to my heel than it should have been. then the real bone head move on my part was that for the next couple of weeks i kept thinking that i didn't move the toe back far enough, so i kept trying to jam it back closer to where it started. turns out i was rebreaking it a few times :rolleyes:. i was wondering why it was hurting so bad.

will you have full use of your foot when it's done healing?

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    heheh... John, a word of advice "If it's broke, don't touch it either" ;)

The Dr. is expecting 85% usage, I'm a 34 year old computer geek, I probley only use it to 60% usage :) anyway.

11. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    well, I had a 1/2 hour long phone conversation with the drummer and I'm pretty excited.

they are getting together tomorrow @ 5pm but I might wait till Sunday. I'm getting the screw removed tomorrow @ 2:15pm so I'm afraid I won't be in any condition to jam. I said I would try. If nothing else, I'm gonna stop and hear them.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Good luck, speddling! Break a leg(no pun intended!:p)!!!

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    :D :D :D :D

w00t!

got the screw out and I can once again walk under my own power... and I felt 'up' to the jam and auditioned... we played for 3 hours
    (they were afraid I'd think they sucked).
    They're good, 2 months worth of writing... waiting for a bassist.

kind of Celtic rock influeced, smashing pumpkinish stoner grooves. Might be interesting. we're recording on Sunday so I can listen to the tunes and write some line.

14. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey..sounds like a good deal.. i wish my band would practice.. we actually have one in 2 weeks.. the guitarist needs a bigger amp.. andrew plays loud.. so hes getting a marshall stack from his uncle...and borrowing it till he gets his own..

Its ashame.. he should ask for a bigger amp for xmas... hes asking for a PRS custom 22.. *rolls eyes*.. oh well.. man.. thats good that you got that screw out.. ive cracked my tailbone.. and it was a ...hooooker..(edited).. man!
    well good luck with that band =D
    and have fun.. most importantly.. but just incase.. the cats dont like your band... you can sell em to a chinese resturant.. *JUST KIDDING!*
    i like your cats!

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Congrats on the foot and the band!

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, since you asked nicely... Good luck

17. isn't it funny how we take things for granted, like...

being able to walk on our own 2 feet?

being able to play bass, and have other musicians appreciate our ability?

good music and good walks to you!!!

b

:cool:

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
  19. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    great news about your injury healing and about the Band.

maybe if we can get enough people interested we have a TB get-together and we will get to meet more TB's in person.