Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wish me luck tonight!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by odie, Jul 28, 2000.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well I'm going to be playing in my first gig(On Saturday the 29th.) in 5 years and my first since I started playing bass again 4 months ago. (after a 3year break) It is at a festival with five other bands, it's outdoors which is a first for me!!! We are second or third to play and are going to do 21-23 songs. I'm a little nervous but mostly for the rest of the guys in the band. It's our singers first show!!!
    So any way,..
    Welcome me back to the world of the back breaking, zero payed, beer drenched equipment hauling, music biz!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by odie (edited July 29, 2000).]

Oddly likes this.
  2. hell_awaits

hell_awaits

May 2, 2000
    My first to gigs were lame, to say the least. The third was great, everything went smooth(for the most part). The fourth, well.... that really wasn't a gig, because the drummer and didn't show up. The fifth one is this friday, so hopefully everything will go smooth.

good luck.

------------------
    Fashion compliance, social disease, bid for direction, aiming to please, follow the status quo for the day, never a willing effort to change.-Brother Inferior

3. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Hold up! You are going to play 21 songs? If the average song is only three minutes and there has to be some time between, you guys will be playing well over an hour, maybe an hour and a half. That's quite a challenge for someone who hasn't played in five years. Whew! Anyway, best of luck and have fun. Band festivals are fun to play. I hope the crowd is good and the weather.

JAson Oldsted

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Well, It's sunday. How was the gig?

Will C. [​IMG]

------------------
    I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy.
    -BW

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well the gig went pretty well, but I was quickly reminded of why I stopped playing for so long!! [​IMG] Wrapping cords and hauling equipment was'nt to bad. But when we got there around 5 pm,(plan to hit the stage at 7pm)we found out that everything was running behind about two hours. So we did'nt go on until about 9:45. We got setup. Then sound checked for less than 5 minutes!!! They were in a hurry since they were so far behind.
    The monitor mix was the worst. Vocal mix was good but I played without hearing any guitar in the monitor, except during parts were their was only guitar!!! [​IMG] Their were a few mistakes but we covered each others mess ups pretty well.

The kicker was that they forgot to introduce us when we played, and we forget to do the same. So no one knew who we where except for the people that asked.

But it was fun. Our two most harsh critics(my best friend, and our guitarist wife) said we were really good. The crowd enjoyed us and we got lots of compliments. So it was worth it.

Thanx All!! [​IMG]

Oddly likes this.
  6. Congrats!

A festival running late! How surprising!

[​IMG]

I think there are a couple of rules that multiband festival organisers should follow:

Either two stages or:

1. Bass amp and drumkit used commonly by all bands;

2. NO acoustic bands in the middle of the show (the different miking techs needed REALLY slow things down).

Andy

7. Doug

Doug

Apr 5, 2000
    Buffalo, N.Y.
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by odie:
    [The monitor mix was the worst. Vocal mix was good but I played without hearing any guitar in the monitor, except during parts were their was only guitar!!! [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Get used to it. A good sound man that knows how to tweak the stage volume is hard to find.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by odie:
    But it was fun. Our two most harsh critics(my best friend, and our guitarist wife) said we were really good. The crowd enjoyed us and we got lots of compliments. So it was worth it.
    [/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's all that matters. It's the only reason I still do it. Sure isn't for the money.

[This message has been edited by Doug (edited July 31, 2000).]

8. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Good luck!

Tupac, Tazz, Shovel and 3 others like this.
  9. Really? :)

10. TheCrimsonKing

TheCrimsonKing

Jan 23, 2014
    I was four when this thread was posted...

11. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Jovial Curmudgeon Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    U.S.A. Left Coast
    Mellowinman ... Throwback Thursday.

BluesOnBass and hrodbert696 like this.
  12. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    I was single when this thread was posted.

13. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    I was married when this thread was started

shawshank72 likes this.
  14. Shovel

Shovel

Jun 4, 2013
    Massachusetts.
    I was about a year old when this thread was posted...

15. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    It's hard to get started up after a break, I know from my self, but after a while it will feel like you never had the break.

Just like riding a bicycle, it's not something you forget.

So I am absolute certain you will make it just great.

Anyway...

Good luck :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, damn, a zombie thread.

I just begun playing with Menfolk after a long break when this thread was posted.

The same people though, except one bassist more, as the band Prune which Menfolk was really just a natural development of.

I later quit though after two releases, something I still regret sometimes, although some of the songs I helped create features on their third release.

Anyway Menfolk is no more, but I still cooperate with the drummer, who is a great multi instrumentalist as well as producer, from time to time.
    Latest on a couple of songs from my solo project ...and for such a long time

Last edited: Dec 13, 2014
    mellowinman likes this.
  16. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I was still relieved that the Y2K thing hadn't killed us all when this thread was posted.

BluesOnBass likes this.
  17. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    Any video to post?

18. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    There might be, but this happened so long ago that it would be on VHS or maybe Betamax...

;)

19. Gaolee

Gaolee It's all about the polyester Supporting Member

So was I. The difference is that I'm still married. Or at least I'm guessing that's a difference. Our son had not turned ten yet.

20. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    It's not the best quality but the best way to convert it without paying anyone is simply to set up a modern camera and run the video on a TV screen and capture it. :)