Wish me luck...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Apr 25, 2003.

1. I've got a jazz band compition tomorrow, and I have 3 solos... i'm scared out of my mind.the 2 other songs we do are ok, but that ONE song... Makes me get shivers up my spine. So as you can see, I need ALL the luck/help I can get.
  2. jade

Mar 8, 2002
    GOOD LUCK!!!
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Rock on.

If you screw up, screw up good.

A half-assed screw up is worse than an all out screw up.

Good luck,
  4. If you DO screw up, make it lok like your cable broke, or just faint.. and roll off stage.. :D
  5. ....Oh! and g'luck man :cool:
  6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    If you play a wrong note, play it 3 more times and call it a dissonant lead in to the next line.
  7. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Practice? What is zis... thing you speak of? In mine country, we have none.
  8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

I still like the fainting and rolling off stage idea though.
  9. Ok, so we get there, I set up. skip right to the songs. We start out with Fiesta Latina which is going great. I get the coda down perfectly, then we move onto a song called Touching All the Basses (pun).

I start out good into the funky rock thing. I notice my solo is coming up. I think too hard about it, and space out. I quickly come up with something, meanwhile, kicking my self for the really good improv solo I came up with this morning has disappeared from my warped little mind. Next, the song goes into a blues feel. I step on my overdrive pedal to give it that nitty-gitty sound. Ok, so far, so good. I use the feedback to extend the sustain of my bass just for the bends. Ok, now that the blues part is over, there is a 3 measure rest, just enough time to click the pedal off... I go to click it off, and it's stuck! I don't have enough time, so I have to go through the shuffle with some overdrive (I managed to hit the blend knob so it went almost all the way to the left). I get through the shuffle ok, then I have a little solo at the end, so I just improve my way through that. Whoops, flubbed that walk up to the 4th fret on the E string. Whew, end of the song. I can sense my overdrive pedal is dying too, so mute my channel in the mixer, and yank out the cord in the input of the pedal, and plug it in where the output cord was.

Ok, now time for Little Bit O' Soul. The band sounds... empty for some reason. I sense something is missing... uh-oh... I turn back around and look at the mixer, I see that when I went to go put the cord from my bass to the mixer in, I ACCIDENTLY MUTED THE KEYS! So I try and find a place where there were open strings in the piece so i can un-mute her, but with no luck.

So we finish up, I'm kicking myself for not doing the best that I can. We get the results later. All the comments we've had... "You did good, now try jazz", "Get more people in" (Our school only has 500 people in it. Now I can see getting another trombone, a bari sax, and another trumpet player in, but still, not many people know that there are some people who live in Narragansett the other 9 months out of the year.). But we had one judge who grew up in this town, so he knows what it's like, and why we didn't have a big band. He was the one that gave us high remarks... One I liked in particular was, and I qoute, "The bass player reminds me of Jaco, with the tone and the techinque and style of playing. Even the warm up scales." :eek:! Right now, I'm tired, my throat is dried up, and I've made the decision i'm not going to bring the pedal, just for the sake of messing everything up!
  10. corky st. clair

corky st. clair

Apr 22, 2003
    yea keep it simple man.
    you got a Jaco complement, that's pretty awesome.
    sounds like you did pretty good. Nobody notices the bass screw ups anyway.