Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wish (Wishnevsky) peanut bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by j-raj, Jan 17, 2003.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I have a Wish Peanut Fretless (#15)... Mine has a straight pickup, purpleheart fingerboard, purpleheart front control plate cover and a Seemore Duck p/u's (which I like)... I'll put it this way:

Steve Wishnevsky is a very nice guy and really cool to talk to, but I wasn't really too excited about the Bass when it arrived and I got a chance to play it.

The jack really didn't keep the cord in at first (I had to fix it), the bridge made the strings really high (I had to make one), The tone... interesting to say the least, there are body carving flaws (left and right), termite holes, lighter than balsam wood and I can't gig with it. The problem I have is that I can't sell it... to anyone! Not even on eBay, cause he sells his own basses there. I paid $265 (including shipping), kind of feel like I got ripped off... And I feel bad saying that, cause he was such a nice person and really has some cool ideas.

Any thoughts?

2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Oh... this is gonna be ugly...

3. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Oh no... why? what can of beans did I open up?

4. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama

Do a search on this cat and see what you find.

5. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    I'd hold onto it....I mean, it's #15.
    That's gotta add some value down the road.
    Or you could sell it to a local entimologist for termite breeding experiments.

6. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I really don't think that it is going to be worth something, even in years to come... but I' ll hold on to it, cause I have no choice.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    He has no return policy?

If not, all the more reason to pass on one. A new bass without a return policy speaks volumes, nice guy or not.

8. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    brad,

You are right... He probably has a return policy, or maybe I could convince him to buy it back (minus shipping) ... I just have been too busy to deal with it... so I just went to local (here in ATL) used instrument shops... maybe a Pawn Shop would pick it up.

My girl thinks that it looks cool on the wall (she ain't no interior decorater), but I didn't buy a bass for that reason.

9. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    progzilla,

What did you find on the search for this fellow "wish".

10. you could try and turn it into a project bass and try and correct all his flaws.

if you can't, just try and sell the parts, or put them in a new bass.

l8rz

Tom

11. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    He's the resident punching-bag here... I think whenever people here get irritable, constipated, or just otherwise ornery.. Wish is the favorite target..

He's the Talk Bass equivilant of those rubber squishy stress-relief dolls that you squeeze and their eyes and stuff poke out...

12. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    progzilla,

Oh I see "Punching bag"!?!

That would make sense...

The bass he built me is going to be one soon if A pawn shop, used joint or he himself doesn't buy it.

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    j-raj. I would tell him how shoddy the work is and ask him for a remedy ( he might tell you to throw it in the fireplace)

he is making himself known; ads in bass player mag. so i think he should do something to help you out...otherwise It would probably make a nice cutting board.

good luck...

14. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I must admit that his basses are atrocious!! I should know because I have one... However, there have been times when people here have (IMO) taken the slamming a little too far..

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    you have one Prog ? Did we know that ?

16. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    godoze,

Thanks man...

I'll give him a call, see what he says, if there isn't a viable solution... PAWN SHOP!

I might try the Cutting board thing... I remember a few x-mas ago Alembic was offering exotic wood cutting boards for $40 each. Granted there is a difference between Alembic and Wish, isn't there?

17. mark beem

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    I thought I had made that known in one of the many Wish threads that have come and gone....

Actually, I should have said I had one... I took it, sanded it down put some tru-oil on the body and donated it to a fund-raiser auction that I'd heard about.... Dont know how much it got, but I know it did sell.

18. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    so Prog, what do you think of yours ? which style do you have ? I must have missed it before...

19. j-raj

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    progzilla,

I hear ya... I hope that I didn't take the punching bag idiom too far... Just adding humor to my boring work day.

Hey progzilla... Do you have that 7 string fretless that he built? I think that it is on his website. It has a real bridge on it?

20. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i think Wish has got to know about his infamous notoriety here on TB. I wish (no pun intended ) that he would get one here and make some comments, or at least try to respond to some questions.