Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wish you knew where your old bass is?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by xyllion, Jan 28, 2003.

1. Yes, on all basses I've sold

7 vote(s)
    14.9%
  2. Yes, on a few

11 vote(s)
    23.4%
  3. Yes, on only one special one

20 vote(s)
    42.6%
  4. Nope, don't care

9 vote(s)
    19.1%
  1. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I was just thinking about my first bass and a bass that I sold this summer. Part of me wants them back, but mostly, I just would like to know what happened to them. How about you? Do you wish you could know the fate of the basses you've sold?

2. I built a custom Ric years back (with a little help from my friends), and sold it about 91 I think. It was lovingly refered to as my Bootsy Bass!:D Black with gold metal flake, Gold hardware, EMG P/J pups with EMG expander.

DAMN I MISS THAT BASS !

Last seen in Northern Utah Odgen / SLC area.
    If anyone has seen this bass please contact me.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Still got my old bass.

4. I know whee my first bass is, and I'm in the process of buying it back, and have been for a year... The guy I sold it to wants twice the market price (that I sold it for)... It's a Washburn SB-4, P-J pups and a sexy translucent red finish. Exactly the same model (only fretted) as Bakithi (sp?) Kumalo used on Paul Simon's "Graceland". A bit heavy to play, but great sound.

I guess I was really stupid to sell it...specially since I got only 250€ for it (basses are very expensive rounf these parts)

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Only as an idle wish - it's not something that greatly occupies me, but it would be interesting to know what has happened to the couple of basses that have passed out of my ownership.

On the other hand, I've no hankering to get them back - I'm content with the 'toys' I've got. :)

Wulf

6. odie

odie Supporting Member

Kinda bass-ey but more Misc-ey.

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    When I was 12 my dad bought me my first bass. It was one of those really cool hollowbodies with the F holes and the tail piece. Man I still wish I had that.

8. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I miss em all, From the Gibson EB2 (First Bass) up to my 77 Jazz that I just sold.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I miss them all, but the one that I am currently missing the most is a pearl white Westone Pantera 5 string.

10. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I'd like to know where my pre-CBS Precision, my '75 Rick, and my '83 Precision are. Some b@st@rds stole them. I have the rest except for an Epiphone that I gave away and I know where it is.

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Because I never sold it. I bought it.

12. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    I ask this because my first bass as a Hohner Professional PJ bass. Just another Korean made bass, but I owned it for about 10 years and in that time replaced the pickups and bridge. If it weren't so bulky and heavy, I probably would still own it. I don't really want it back, but sometimes I wonder who bought it from the consignment shop that I sold it at.

13. It might be interesting to know WHO owns some of my old buddies, but, I'd rather leave things the way they are. :(

I prefer to remember my lost children when they were young and beautiful and right out of the box.
    If I saw them all chewed up I wouldn't be able to take it.

Mike :D

14. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    there is a sunburst MIM jazz bass that I modded up pretty nicely... I ebay'ed it and sent it to Southern Cali IIRC... wouldn't mind having that one back!!

P@

15. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i will never sell any of my basses unless i am really hurtin for money...they are like my children....especially since i really shouldn't have kids now

bp13

16. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    this has never happened to me before in my life ... but just today i saw a pedulla rapture that i traded at a music store (in another part of nj) about a year ago hanging on the wall at guitar center!

it had a couple of distinctive blemishes on it that i remember ... and plus, it's like an old girlfriend ... you always know it's her ...

so i pulled it down and checked the serial number ... sure, enough ... she used to be mine ...

well, anyway ...

somebody put a badass bridge on it, and some super-rigid strings that i hated ... the action was really high ... belt rash on the back that wasn't there when i had it ... badly in need of a little TLC ...

loved the looks of that bass, but something about it wasn't rock-n-roll enough ... had a "jazz musician" vibe about it (despite the single humbucker) ...

and the happy ending to the story is that, when i traded it, i put the $$$ toward a MM sterling ... which i absolutely love and have no intentions of parting with!

17. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    did u play it just for old times sakes?

bp13

18. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    which GC....if its the one in cherry hill ill be there tomorrow...

bp13

19. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

no thanks :(

20. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    yes i did play it, but it bummed me out that it was kinda abused ... i wasn't really too into it when i flipped it for my sterling, but i hate to see basses treated with disrespect ...

btw, it was the GC in springfield, nj ... on route 22 ... be careful there, man ... a friend of mine parked his car, ran in for strings and when he came out his acura had been stolen.

the really sucky part: he just paid it off , like, three days before that ...

the really, REALLY sucky part ... 2 PRS guitars in the trunk.

ouch. :eek:

btw, cherry hill is one of the nicer "guitar sinners" in NJ ...