Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Wishbass, any good?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by omer8488, Aug 17, 2004.

1. omer8488

omer8488

Aug 17, 2004
    israel
    There's a costum shop called widhhbass that offers very low priced instruments that should be of good quality, (www.wishbass.com thats their site btw) anyway they say they offer honest work on honest wood for honest pay,now saying honest so many times can start sounding a bit dishonest...
    did anyone get to play,order one? how do they sound? feel? and are they reliable? if anyone has any expeirience with them, i'de really like to hear from you

2. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I'd better say something before this thread gets stoned...

Do yourself a favour and use the search function. You'll be suprised at the wealth of information you can get from that action.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    They generally have very low quality craftsmanship, according to most of the reviews on TB. And many of the guys who buy them end up trying to sell them in the classifieds.

4. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Yes yes, use the search function and you'll learn all you need to know about Wishbasses. :oops:

5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I think Xush put together the best quote I've heard on Wish's here:
    I forget who it was who is using that quote in his signature, but thanks!!! it helped me track down the Wish threads after seeing his stuff on EEEeeeekkk-bay!

6. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    overall, besides the searches, everybody generally agrees that their build and setup is for crap - BUT once past that, easily 50% of owners really enjoy the feel and sound. I had one and only got rid of it because I designed the body way too big for me to play it comfortably - I truly dug the HUGE neck and the sound was great with tapewound strings.

Don't buy a Wish if you're expecting anything like any bass you've played before. They're unique unto themselves. YMMV.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I owned one.
    Huge!!!!! Neck.
    2 1/2 at the nut
    3 3/4 at neck joint.
    Mine was a 5-string EADGC
    Hard to play, but I must say It sounded good.

8. yes, i have never played one, but the price isn't bad for getting to design your own body is it?

i like the idea, it's only too bad that there aren't too many happy customers...doesn't ibanks have a few wish basses though?

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yes.....
    I like mine. The one I designed is fun, wierd and sounds good. The other is more art than bass, but is ok. Having said that, I wouldn't use either as my main bass. That has less to do with construction than my suckiness as a fretless player. There are a few construction issues, but none that I didn't expect. If you need a bass for everyday work, I'd advise a Fender; but if you want something unique, that you've designed, sounds like an upright and you don't have over $400 to spend, Wish may be what you want.

10. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    oh yeah, and mine had frets --- and in the right places!

11. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    :eek: Wow, maybe he IS getting better...

Then again, all I need to do to ever talk me out of a WishBass is remembering the picture of the nut on a six string fretless he made. It looked like a three year old filed the bloody thing, the string spacing was ridiculous.

12. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    I really think this guy gets too much flak for just trying to make a living as a luthier..in some of the previous posts on Wish basses, it got really personal, which really isn't needed.

Anyways, I've still been thinking about getting an upright electric sometime in the future.

13. Franklin229

Franklin229 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeast USA
    I agree-we should all envy someone who can make a living craftng instruments that offer good value. It's a nice "zag" when you consider that most handmade/custom intruments out there are big bucks. Yeah they're quirky but I love my "Hippie" Wishbass-It has a great upright tone and has a neck to match-as a person who started on an upright-it beats a lot of the hybrid "upright basses" hands down for my use and $$$.

14. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
  15. BassDmb18

BassDmb18

Dec 28, 2002
    Davie, FL
  16. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    as a person who used to own a constrosity known as wish bass, i would highly recomend not to get one, but it's your money and your style. as they say "one man's trash is another man's wishbass" sorry i just had to say it

17. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I'm so forgettable. Hehe.

Anyways, on the Wish query:

No

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    He's probably honest, but his "craftsmanship" leaves much to be desired.