1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Wishbass Club 2.0....Out of the Ashes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Apr 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  2. hodad66

hodad66

Jan 3, 2013
    Indialantic, Fl
    Got my nut off .... :confused: , did some more rasp work and sanded to 120 just to see what I have.....

8626428912_db06c33929_z.

8626428878_610b2a51a3_z.

I left more of the squareness on the bottom to insure greater
    structural integrity on that thin, lower horn.

8625320753_2a1a3d20ae_z.

8625320733_4cb34a1dd6_z.

8625320687_7e08fd6145_z.

8626428766_d7bbd1bc1d_c.

This new version sure feels nice to the hands!!
    So far I'm only finding 220 paper locally for my current tools....... :mad:

maestrovert likes this.
  3. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    WOW! That sure is purdy! And I LOVE that knarly knot!

4. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    What you have is an unusually gorgeous bass, dude! Wow ... Keep it up.

On another completely different topic, does anyone know anything about Wilkinson active p-ups? I was given one (big Musicman style) and would like to find a home for it in one of my basses, maybe even my fanned fret short scale? I have no clue about what else the circuit will need though and how much space it will all take up - may make it a moot point. Does moving the circuitry to a pedal (so you don't have to enlarge the cavity) make sense or is that a bad idea? (I'm just wondering even if this is even worth it since the circuitry could be more expensive than just buying a passive pickup.) Haven't Googled it yet, just asking here first. Anyone?

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    By active pickup, does it require a battery like an EMG?

Can you post a photo of the back and wiring?

If it's like an EMG active pickup, you'd need a battery to power the pickup's internal electronics. Beyond that it's probably just a matter of low resistance pots (EMG recommends 25K ohm pots (rather than typical 250K ohm or 500 Kohm values) since the pickup's output impedance is low (thanks to the internal electronics). I found this on the web, but it doesn't give many details.

6. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    BillyB; I'll work on getting some photos done - thanks. I'm assuming it does require a battery ...

7. jumbodbassman

jumbodbassman Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Stuck in traffic -NY & CT
    Born Again Tubey
    you need to find out if the pickup is truely active or if the circuit with it is active. Lots of times the pickups are actually passive but the circuit with it is active. That is the case the majority of the time. Some pickups like EMG's and Alembics are active themselves and need a battery to work. Other than alembic pups you will probably use 25K pots and a jack with 3 leads instead of 2 to activate the battery. Pictures may help us figure out what it is you have. Usually but not always the wires out will show us or if you have a meter....

Also FWIW wilkenson pups are usually just OK but have a good price point. I am pretty sure they are made in asia, probably by one of the big companies over there so assume about that quality, maybe slightly better due to wikensons specs....

8. jumbodbassman

Dec 28, 2009
    Born Again Tubey
    How about some spring time is finally here green grass family shots for the new thread... is it really 11???

Most of what you see may be up for sale soon so if anything strikes your fancy let me know. Obviously the Nemo is already spoken for.....

FP01.

FP03.

FP02.

fp05.

9. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    No it's really 12!

10. hodad66

hodad66

Jan 3, 2013
    Indialantic, Fl
    These bases and their ability to be worked upon and
    tweaked makes this one hell of an interesting subject.
    I have learned so much reading through all the threads.......

The fact that they play so well and sound so good is icing
    on the cake!

11. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Yep, Mr. Wishnevsky has filled a completely unique niche in the musical instrument marketplace. And if you are lucky enough to see the potential, and possess the proper mindset, Wishbasses become truly spectacular.

maestrovert likes this.
  12. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    ^ Well said! On top of that, it's just a whole bunch of fun if you don't take it all too seriously!

As promised, here are the photos of my p-up. I've learned a lot just in the few response I've gotten so far and I'm grateful. I am understanding now that most of the p-ups are not active per se, but the circuitry is (minus a few exceptions) - I did not know that, but then again, when you know NOTHING, anything becomes news! Thanks, everyone ...

IMG_3269_zpsf7c6cfb0.
    Front ...
    IMG_3268_zpsedfda87a.
    Back ...
    Hipper1041Oct26001_zps5882bca0.
    Fanned fret Hipper #1041 = intended target! A side benefit to doing this will be that I can then retro fit this KA into the Nemo - tee hee ...

Any opinions, info on pot value now if I just install it passive, with no active circuitry? Think the slanted position will effect sound transmission to any detrimental degree?

Sharknose79 likes this.
  13. jumbodbassman

Dec 28, 2009
    Born Again Tubey
    Actually the hyper is also gone. so my 14 is ONLY 11 now.;)

14. Oooh, Motley KA Lobe. Nice.

15. jumbodbassman

Dec 28, 2009
    Born Again Tubey
    first blush i would say not active pup. Try it out with some alligator clips and a jack into an amp. See if you get sound and a decent volume. if so i would say it is passive. or a meter of course if you have one

If passive i would go with 500K pots to get the most treble. .033 vs.047. vs .01 etc. is a matter of personal taste assuming you go with a tone pot

I would make sure the exposed poles work out ok with that angle and string width..... KA pup is great. Not sure the wilkeson will sound as good.

16. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    I agree with Jumbodbassman that the pickup shown is probably a passive one.

With a tilted pickup, I suspect you'd want one with bars rather than poles as the strings will probably miss most of the poles.

I've been looking at that pickup for another project. What is the center to center pole spacing from B to G?

17. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    +1

18. 49sfine

49sfine

Apr 20, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    I just measured it and it is 62.50 mm. Hope that helps.

It might be I am trying too hard to find a home for this p-up since I only own one other 5 string and the Wilkinson won't fit it due to the location of the control cavity relative to the p-up route. However, it's been worth the effort and I am learning some new stuff - so, kool. Thanks.

19. BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Thanks!

20. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    Foo... of all the ones in the pics, that was the one I gravitated to.

Not that Mrs. Eli would look too kindly on another capital expenditure, of course... :meh: :crying: :eek: