Wishbass Club 2.0....Out of the Ashes

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, Apr 6, 2013.

Tags:
  1. andy1357

andy1357

Mar 31, 2015
    Ypsilanti, MI
    none.
    This little piezo bass (2609) is a wonder. There are some interesting uses to having the fingerboard running all the way up to the bridge. Since there's no pickup there in the way, you can actually get some notes in the extended upper range.

My Minnie seems to have more string after the bridge than other Wishes, so you can play on that for a cool effect (like you can on a Jazzmaster-type guitar or upright). Can't think of another bass that has post-bridge string exposed. The piezo allows for fun body percussion stuff too.

Here's a little loop experiment. Bass set up as-shipped. I will make a few adjustments to string height at nut, I think.

https://youtu.be/Ibk-2KjYyts

I might be giving up soon trying to play in tune on a 28 in... which is why 2627 (34 in. Scroll) is on its way to my house!!! Huzzah!

wave rider likes this.
  2. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I wouldn't give up so fast. Wish's side dot placement isn't always spot on, so they could be leading you astray. I will say I don't know where to get a template or measurements for a 28" scale "fret" placement, though. Google?

Edit: Of *course* StewMac has a calculator on their website. Duh.
    Fret Position Calculator | stewmac.com

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    wave rider and andy1357 like this.
  3. ElectricaNada

ElectricaNada

Jun 9, 2019
    I’d consider converting that 28 incher to a fretless 4-string baritone guitar.

andy1357 likes this.
  4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    since my NBD photo has been so wildly appreciated I'm gratefully in thx to a generous ebay seller who inexplicably let this stunner go and then it sat a week til payday for me to finally own a Wishbass.
    if you Wish upon a V it doesn't matter where you be

JRA and boombloom like this.
  5. matt13

matt13

Mar 8, 2021
    New user here, but I guess I'm part of the club! #2620 here. My first fretless, but feeling like I'm adjusting relatively well.

Will be planning some refinishing and possible pickup replacement as time allows, but I think I'll have to start with the fretboard leveling and refinish. Got some pretty solid buzz in some areas. Will have to fix the volume knob as well, one wire was disconnected when it arrived. I've read through a lot of this thread, but there's so much to read I can't remember what the most common finish for the fretboard is that people are doing. Just an oil good enough or are people fond of poly or something else? I already have some scratches on there 1 week in so something harder might be a plus, but I'm going to get some half rounds on there soon, hoping that'll also help with the scratching and buzz a little bit.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Attached Files:

6. Fingerboard leveling and bridge and nut fine tuning were definitely the most important thing for my wish. My neck also needed a lot of love to level it out, but that was more about smoothness of play and not about sound of play.

I haven't really done much to my fingerboard. I think I used a tung wipedown cloth and gave it a once over with whatever came off the body one time. A lot of people recommend the fretboard oil from Stewmac.

7. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    in case I missed it what is the club's consensus regarding 'epoxying' a Wish fretboard?

8. I did a quick search of this thread for "epoxy" and found a range of opinions.

9. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I just did the same thing and found your post lol guess it's rabbit hole time

10. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    It's gonna sound brighter and snarlier than any bare wood. Brighter than any oil would make it, too, I would imagine. I don't imagine there's a "yes/no" consensus here, it's just a matter of what you want to sound like. And how much maintenance you will tolerate.

11. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Based on your experience with basses with no speed bumps, how much maintenance have you had to do? Also, assuming you're still using Elixirs, do you find that they reduce fingerboard wear?

12. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I went thru all this 4 decades ago and kinda gladly at the last minute decided not to get bowling alley epoxy on my maple Fender. a Wishbass is another critter altogether and they tend to have 'the Wish sound' which a harder surface could take on an advantage for clarity, but until I get my hands on one in the raw ...which should be in 3hrs, I won't know in the slightest. in the end I didn't want the highs glassing would have changed the maple to and don't want to jump the gun here. any idea what a cherry board imparts?
    upload_2021-3-8_8-34-8.png

13. ElectricaNada

ElectricaNada

Jun 9, 2019
    Just enjoy it for what it is. Steve has gotten pretty good at setting up his instruments and making them playable. If it's a recent model it should not need any fingerboard work at all.

That said, his strings, tuners, and electronics are always cheap crap. That's what will really need the remodeling work. Not the wood.

14. ElectricaNada

ElectricaNada

Jun 9, 2019
    That's because Steve sets the action as low as it will go. Just put a little shim under the bridge and the buzz will go away. Sanding the fretboard is probably overkill.

15. My fingerboard was terrible. The bridge and nut were good for what the fingerboard had going on, but when I pulled those away and really got a straightedge and an eyball on it there was much leveling to be done.

16. ElectricaNada

ElectricaNada

Jun 9, 2019
    I can't speak to your particular instrument, so please don't take offense -- this is just a general observation I'm making from following this board for a while, and aimed at new owners in general:

Very often players new to fretless assume that things are problems that are not really problems at all. For example, fretless instruments do not require tunable bridges, truss rods, etc. Fret position markers are just suggestions for where the best note might be. They will always seem off in certain musical contexts. That's normal. And because there are no frets, slight fingerboard irregularities are not necessarily an issue.

Obviously fingerboard irregularities can become an issue when they are way out of whack, but I have not seen that in Steve's recent instruments. Mostly they just need the action raised a tad, because he sets it so very low. My recommendation to newbies is to live with his instruments *as is* for a good long while and getting used to them before committing to any major surgery.

andy1357 likes this.
  17. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    I have only had to do maintenance on the Ebanol board on my Conklin 7. I was surprised to realize last year that there were ruts deep enough to affect the tone after some 19 years of playing it. My other fretless basses have not been played anywhere near as much as that Conk, and none have needed any board maintenance.

As far as Wishbasses, I have had three (all direct from Mr. W), and the first two needed significant fingerboard leveling. The third one came with a board that was *perfect*, really. It was shortly after the fire, one of the first few to come out of the new shop. And thank heaven, because it has a beautiful sheen on the board (I believe multiple coats of rubbed oil) that I would have had to ruin if it had needed any sanding.

I *think* Elixirs reduce wear, but because of the difference in playing time, I can't really testify.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
  18. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    How much "mwah" you get out of a fretless is due in large part to very low action and a nearly dead straight board. You can indeed remove truly nasty buzz problems by raising the bridge, but that removes the good mwah (buzz is merely extreme mwah). If you don't *want* mwah, and instead prefer a more thumpy fretless tone, then sure, raise the bridge. But if the mwah is what you really want, then you need to get the board pretty straight for an even sound all up and down.

19. eli

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    That board looks more like purpleheart than cherry. Purpleheart is pretty doggone hard. I put boiled linseed oil on my purpleheart Wish board, and now I wish I hadn't. You should be able to play it as is.

20. matt13

matt13

Mar 8, 2021
    That sounds good. I think based on the amount of work I've seen people do on here, I was sort of committed to doing a lot before I even got the bass in my hands. I probably don't have to do as much work as I thought. Strings will definitely be switched since I'm already tearing up the fingerboard with the rounds, and electronics need work since as of now the volume knob is basically an on off switch. I'll try propping up the bridge a little too. Action is way to low on the B, it barely rings out, it just kinda rumbles against the whole fingerboard.

Think it's worthwhile to put in a stacked knob so I have some tone control, or do most of you guys find them okay with just the volume knob?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021